Windshield wiper motor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After owning my 60 for about a month, I finally drove it in the rain. (It looks great wet.....) Whilst using the wipers on intermitent, a aweful squeally howl came from behind the dash. I turned the wipers to low and the howl stopped. Has anyone else had this problem? Are the wipers vacuum powered or are they driven by elec. motors? If vacuum powered, does it need any oil or lubricant? Every other vehicle I have ever driven has had elec. motors for the wipers.... so I don't know if there are any corellations (sp?)

Thanks,

Blue 60

It was probably just the mouse that lives behind your dash with its tail caught. When you went to low speed it probably let the mouse get away. He's probably licking his wounds in your glovebox, bleeding all over your owners manual and eating candy. :)

I believe you can access the wiper linkage and motor via a panel in the firewall. You might want to pop off the cover and take a look in there and see what you can lube. I would think the intermittent wiper function is driven by an electrical relay, but I've been away from Cruisers for a bit and don't remember for sure. Lube what you can see, check for any obstructions then watch the operation from the front while your assistant operates the wipers.

Let us know what you find!

Cheers,

Brett

The intermittant function is run by a mechanical timer that looks just like a relay. Its under the dash, above the clutch pedal. When its making noise, it'll be easy to find. Unplug it, remove the cover and oil the gears. That should quiet the noise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom