windshield weatherstripping (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

red66toy

Supporting Vendor
Threads
I need to replace the windshield weatherstripping on my FJ40 and I was wondering if an auto-glass place can get the weatherstripping and replace it or do I have to get it from toyota first? Thanks

You will be able to get it from a glass shop as an aftermarket piece. It shouldn't cost much more that $25

Scott

HawkDriver said:
Have you tried asking the glass shop you plan on taking it to? :confused: :D
I dont like to talk to places if I dont have too. :rolleyes: :D

I just called the glass shop and the lady said they didnt make a land cruiser that old. :rolleyes:

Just went though this at a glass shop, the weather striping that they would provide would me cut up with multiple sections....don't do it.

I went with toyota weather striping....the glass is 95 installed with toy weather striping.

I bought the weather stripping from $OR before I found out Toyota still had it. I got the the windshield from Toyota. Had it installed at a local shop that could not find either.

I just ordered a new gasket from toyota. It was actually a lot cheaper than I thought. The same shop also quoted me $247 to reinstall the glass with the new gasket! I am definately not calling those guys again. :rolleyes:

Chase, I had the local glass shop cut a windshield(X2) and use their generic 2 piece rubber molding. It looks like the facto stuff but it is an extrusion with no corners molded in like the OEM stuff. It will make the radius without puckering, but mine has leaked since the first rain. If you are going to install it yourself, I would use a sealer on it at install. Are you putting this in a real '66 windshield? And Toyota had the '66 stuff? Cool.
Good luck! And post a pic!

Ed

Ed,
Yeah, the part number for the 65 windshield gasket is 56121-60011. The dealership(CDan's place) had it in stock and its on its way to me now. I dont know if the gasket is the same for a 66, I would think so though.
Edit: For years 58-65, the windshield is still available from toyota # 56111-60011. This is for the windshield frames with the vent under the glass.

Last edited:
Yeah, mine has the WS vent below the glass, kinda retro-cool.

Ed

red66toy said:
I just called the glass shop and the lady said they didnt make a land cruiser that old. :rolleyes:

ROFLMAF

I am getting a new WS in the morning for $100 installed

red66toy said:
I just ordered a new gasket from toyota. It was actually a lot cheaper than I thought. The same shop also quoted me $247 to reinstall the glass with the new gasket! I am definately not calling those guys again. :rolleyes:

One more reason to come to SNT! LCJ will be there, and he's THE glass installer! :grinpimp:

Man, I can only wish that I could make it to SNT. There is no possible way for me to make it down there and back in a weekend and in my slow cruiser. I would never make it back in time for school on monday. Once I graduate, I am definately going though. :D

I called every window glass company in the area, most of them were in the $195 range for a custom cut glass using my existing britle gasket......

Finally found a shop that is willing to do it for $95.00 ...if I bring the new gasket.

They reccomended using a tinted glass, they had quite a selection of colors...
has anyone installed a colored windshield.

why pay to have it installed? i bought a new weatherstrip and windshield to put in a newly painted frame and installed it in under an hour. certainly one of the easier tasks though you'll have sore fingers when you're done.

if you need a walk through and pictures, i documented the whole thing here: http://groups.msn.com/NewEnglandToyotaLandCruiserAssc/windshiledreplacement.msnw

not sure if non-members can access it, but give it a shot.

Cool, thanks for the link. I am going to give it a try first, doesnt look too hard(knock on wood). Then when I bust the glass trying to get it in, I will take it to someone. :D

red66toy said:
Ed,
Yeah, the part number for the 65 windshield gasket is 56121-60011. The dealership(CDan's place) had it in stock and its on its way to me now. I dont know if the gasket is the same for a 66, I would think so though.
Edit: For years 58-65, the windshield is still available from toyota # 56111-60011. This is for the windshield frames with the vent under the glass.

Make sure you get both parts of the gasket. I ordered a windshield gasket from Dan for my 74 but I only got the gasket not the lock in peice. I got it from the local dealer. I set my windshield myself with my son's help. About 2 hours of cursing and a spray bottle of soapy water and I was back to good.

Kevin

I just realized that today, I totally forgot to order the little key peice. I hope that I can just reuse the one thats already on there.

The locking key can usually be reused, in my experience. To make the window easier to install on versions that take the lock piece, install the window without the locking piece, then use the special tool that's sold by Equalizer (Auto Glass tool manufacturer) to thread the locking piece in. I'm ordering one of these tools for my own SST tool box, and it makes installation go a lot faster.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom