Windshield washers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just got a new to me FJ 62 and other than a few small quirks it is awesome. I noticed that the windshield washers don't work. When I push the button I can hear a pump sound, I see that there are the little sprayers in the hood, and there is plenty of fluid in the reservoir but nothing comes out. Any ideas?

Thanks

It's not cold where you are is it?

I had a similar problem but there was no sound from the pump.. so I swapped that out and now all is fine.

Sounds like there is some buildup in the rubber line somewhere.

This doesn't really apply to 62s but a friend of mine had a 60.... We were up in the mountains driving home after skiing. The windshield washer wasn't working and the roads were wet so we had to stop to get a jug of blue juice. My buddy whips open the hood and fills up the washer tank - the one in front, near the headlight. He then tries the washer and can't figure out why its not working. I pointed to the other washer tank back near the firewall. He looks at it and says, "What's that for?" I guess he hadn't had the truck long enough to run through a whole tank of juice yet. I pointed out the headlight washers and explained the separation of the two systems. Like I said, it doesn't apply to 62s, unless you've got one with headlight washers? If the pump is making noise and you've got juice in the tank, I'll bet the hose is clogged of frozen.

or you can try un blocking the jets . small amopunts of rust etc gather just inside the outlet of the jet all it requires is either taking them off and blowing backward through them or inserting a fine pin in the holes while someone is pressing the washer button.

I would say to wire out the nozzles, or to check that the hose is connected. You could even pull off the hose and have someone hit the button to see if fluid is coming out. If it does, the problem is the jets, if not, check the pump.

Hodag

I stuck a wire down the spray nosels and still nothing comes out, I quess it is probably something wrong with the pump or some other part. Where is the pump, is it under the washer reservoir? Do I need to take out the reservoir to work on it?

Thanks

anatomyguy said:
I stuck a wire down the spray nosels and still nothing comes out, I quess it is probably something wrong with the pump or some other part. Where is the pump, is it under the washer reservoir? Do I need to take out the reservoir to work on it?

Thanks

Yes, the pump is mounted to the reservoir, on the backside (against the fender) towards the bottom. It's a cinch to take out (I had to in order to get my antenna out). Just remove the top bolt (10mm), and loosen the one on the front and the one on the bottom, pull the reservoir up and it comes right out. Only pull it up enough to get it disconnected from the firewall though, since you'll still need to disconnect the hose and the wires from the pump. It's a surprisingly small unit. About the size of a small fuel pump.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom