Windshield washer not spraying right (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've tried the simple stuff: I've poked small steel wires down into the sprayer orifices trying to clean them out... it's still not working.

Before I break down and tear it all out from under the hood, is there anything else simple that I could try?!

Can I get parts for these (hoses, spray nozzles, etc) on here?

James

If your not getting any pressure at all it could be your pump(s) are clogged. Pull the hose off the nozzel back and hit the washer button and see how much pressure you have. On my FJ80 both the front and rear pump screens were full of junk. I think the FZJ80 only has 1 pump and a diverter, but low pressure could still be from a clogged pump.

Take them out, soak them in alcohol, then blow out with air.

If that doesn't work, replace them with 3 ways

so.......do u have a p/n for those three ways? a couple come up on ebay but don't mention the threeway nozzle, AND seem expensive, so im still looking but I like the threeway action lol.......

Believe it not .... we got threads on washer nozzles too :D

I bet your simplest effort to fix since you already tried physically cleaning would be remove and soak in vinegar or clr or the like

Those 3 ways come up.... some say the pump doesnt have sufficient pressure but snakes seem to work great

Dorman fan spray comes up .... some reported issues of leaking on the hood, others dont. Look for one with a check valve option.

And im sure you can find a vendor of oem replacements here too.

mercfan, I have a '96 and have had some problems with my windshield/window washer in the past. There's an electro-mechanical valve (diverter) in the engine compartment in front of and outboard of the brake booster. It has three hoses (and an electrical connector) attached to it, input hose from the pump, output hose to the front windshield and output hose to the rear window. Pull the input hose from the pump and activate the pump. If you get no fluid the pump is bad or clogged, or the hose is clogged or pinched. If you get fluid from the pump, the diverter valve is bad or clogged, or the hoses are clogged or pinched, or the spray nozzles are clogged. I've replaced all three (pump, diverter valve, and all three nozzles) on my Cruiser. A good indicator that the diverter valve is going bad is when selecting the rear window washer no fluid sprays on the rear window and fluid comes out of the front nozzles under low pressure. Good luck.

Last edited:
Is it just one? I noticed that one of my hoses was kinked underneath the hood insulation. Prior to that, the pump was out. New ones are still available from toyota and aren't all that expensive.

My lazy ass thought mine are done! For almost a year I didn't touch it. Last summer when I monstalined her, while prepping for the job, I realized that the main Jose was jammed on to my ArB compressor.

So now it's working! Lol...

96 Cruiser, I have a '96 and have had some problems with my windshield/window washer in the past. There's an electro-mechanical valve (diverter) in the engine compartment in front of and outboard of the brake booster. It has three hoses (and an electrical connector) attached to it, input hose from the pump, output hose to the front windshield and output hose to the rear window. Pull the input hose from the pump and activate the pump. If you get no fluid the pump is bad or clogged, or the hose is clogged or pinched. If you get fluid from the pump, the diverter valve is bad or clogged, or the hoses are clogged or pinched, or the spray nozzles are clogged. I've replaced all three (pump, diverter valve, and all three nozzles) on my Cruiser. A good indicator that the diverter valve is going bad is when selecting the rear window washer no fluid sprays on the rear window and fluid comes out of the front nozzles under low pressure. Good luck.

mine works fine, I just used the slee relocate kit for the washer bottle while adding a second battery tray, and all is good, however I was interested in those three outlet nozzles to see if I could get a better coverage, winters decently bad here, need the best I can get .........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom