Windshield replacement for 2016 LC OEM/Toyota or Pilkington? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just ahead of my state inspection I took a small rock to windshield on the freeway...started to crack immediately. Local dealer recommended a solid installer they use. Got the quote from them. They use Pilkington as their OEM alternative. Toyota glass is approx $925-950 and Pilk is $500. Supposedly all the same features for cruise radar, wiper defrosters, etc. Any experience? Prefer OEM but nearly $500 difference. Having it done at dealer while in for other service. Installer ordering new moldings...any other Toyota small parts needed to keep it as-new? Net is Toyota glass installed/parts around $1500 vs $8-900 for Pilkington

I don't have all the information, but one of my friends had to replace his 4Runner windshield within the first year of ownership. The replacement windshield was an aftermarket one, not sure of the brand, and it cracked within the first week of it being installed. It was then replaced with a Toyota-branded windshield a few days later at his request and hasn't had any issues since. With that said, installation quality plays a huge factor so you can't necessarily blame the aftermarket glass.

See for more: 200 Series Windshield Replacement

Appreciate the comment on the 4Runner. I've also got a '15 4Runner but there's not half as much going on in the windshield as the LC. Wiper defrosters, specific Radar shiz for the cruise control, automatic wiper sensor wiring, etc.
Having it done by the dealers recommended installer while at the dealer having the squealing belt tensioner and air-bag sensor recall done.

I had to have the windshield replaced in my '11, and they installed a Pilkington, pulling out the OEM. It was easy for me to see the differences, particularly with the wiper defroster (which may not matter to you). Had to have a new windshield installed a couple of months ago on my '15, and they tried to install a Pilkington again. I politely declined and said the OEM windshield was much better. They went back to State Farm, and they said no problem, install the OEM. Had to wait a couple of days for it to arrive at the local dealer, but it's installed now. Look for the AGC brand in the logo.

What matters is the defrost wiring. I’m a advocate for using whatever glass is available, as it’s all made my the same few companies. (Toyota does not product their own glass)

But of the 3 windshield glass I’ve had, only the Toyota branded one had legit defrost wiring to function longer than one season. The non Toyota branded would work for a month and then failed.

If you use the ice defroster, I think it’s worth it. If you lived in say, Souther Cali to west Texas, and won’t use the ice defroster but will most likely lose the windshield in another year from rocks, then do with the cheaper option.

OEM or bust. Only use an installer that high end (Lexus) dealers trust. Call around different dealers to hear a consensus.

My 2013 pilkington panel has a VIN window that doesn’t line up with the tag, wiper defrosters that “work” but are useless, and a rain sensor bracket that isn’t built/attached to OE spec so the sensor won’t sit flat and has a bubble in the special tape no matter how careful you are installing it. That said it is optically fine and so far has resisted cracks for about 50k miles.

I get that toyota doesn’t make their own panels but they can demand all kinds of parameters and features be strictly adhered to before it has their part number put on it. Aftermarket can make things “good enough” (not to kill you) and sell for half price all day long.

With my intent to keep my cruiser for another 150k my overall strategy is spend the money on the parts that are actually built to Toyota’s standards.

I’m with you @bloc, absolutely.

I just have had the unfortunate past to have gone through 13 windshields, across two different Toyota 4x4s (FJC and a 200), in 24 months. Side note, zero deductible for atmospheric damaged was awesome.

So while I enjoy the finest of OEM parts, it doesn’t make much financial sense when you live in an area where you will break glass often. Or even if you don’t break glass, the sand and rocks from wind pepper the glass so much that setting sun makes it had to see through the pitted glass.

What’s really interesting was that when I moved back to the East coast, USAA said that only Toyota branded glass was available for my 200. But on the West coast, there was a whole world of meh glass to choose from.

“Sounds great, let’s glue that big piece of crap to the front of my cruiser and I’ll call yeah next month for another one.” -me

“Too easy Rob, I’ll probably just give you a call early and we’ll schedule another one because we know how much you hate clear glass.” - my USAA adjuster, great guy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom