Windshield Repair Kit, Do or Don't? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Question: Am I the only one that feels incredibly bad when we do something to our 100's that could have been avoided? A paint chip? A ding? In my case, I won't get into the details, but I put an every so small crescent crack in my windshield. O.K. I'll tell you, I was working on my rack when one of the bars slide forward and just slightly dinged the windshield. I didn't even notice for a week but, it's there. I've heard all the windshield replacement nightmares and it seems to be original, so I want to avoid replacing at all cost. Has anyone tried the resin kits and do they really work. I just want to prevent it from spreading. I have a kit on the way.

Question: Am I the only one that feels incredibly bad when we do something to our 100's that could have been avoided? A paint chip? A ding? In my case, I won't get into the details, but I put an every so small crescent crack in my windshield. O.K. I'll tell you, I was working on my rack when one of the bars slide forward and just slightly dinged the windshield. I didn't even notice for a week but, it's there. I've heard all the windshield replacement nightmares and it seems to be original, so I want to avoid replacing at all cost. Has anyone tried the resin kits and do they really work. I just want to prevent it from spreading. I have a kit on the way.

Yes, they work great but mostly on very small cracks or rock chips.

The early model 100's also have glass headlights. I have repaired rock chips in mine twice using the epoxy resin for windshields.

Yes, they work great but mostly on very small cracks or rock chips.

The early model 100's also have glass headlights. I have repaired rock chips in mine twice using the epoxy resin for windshields.
Sounds like I'm good then. this is literally 1/4 of a dime size or less. Just don't want it spreading when the windshield starts heating up and cooling down this winter. Good to hear you had success.

I did this last week. A rock hit the windshield in the upper left corner and left a nickel-sized round chip. I used the Rain-X kit for $12.80. The entire process took about 15 min. The result wasn't quite what the box/video showed. But, it's good enough - not nearly as noticeable and, more importantly, shouldn't grow.

Amazon product ASIN B000EA5WLS

I've never DIY'd it, but I've had glass repaired at those tents in parking lots. Works quite well. Some were invisible, some were more obvious, but all stopped the crack.

I'd go to significant lengths to avoid replacing 100 series windshield glass so definitely try to save it before it spreads.

I did this last week. A rock hit the windshield in the upper left corner and left a nickel-sized round chip. I used the Rain-X kit for $12.80. The entire process took about 15 min. The result wasn't quite what the box/video showed. But, it's good enough - not nearly as noticeable and, more importantly, shouldn't grow.

Amazon product ASIN B000EA5WLS
I used the same kit for some small chips. Works well. It is not invisible after repair. But I think it will stop the spread.

I just attempted repair of a small divot with adjacent 1 cm crack. The divot looks much better but the crack looks unchanged. I don't care that it's visible but after all the windshield replacement horror stories I don't want it to spread! The mask as a backdrop kind of worked but couldn't get a good picture... Shouldn't the crack look a little better after repair? I'm concerned that the crack is so small there isn't a big enough gap for the resin
1031211621a.jpg
to seep into in which case there is no resin in it and I'm destined for a glass horror story.

1031211621.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom