Windshield Leak Repair - Atlanta Area (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone have a good resource or recommendation to fix my 94 Cruiser's windshield leak? There have been numerous unsuccessful attempts at solving this (more details in the background). The leak is coming from the driver/passenger bottom corners.

Based on some research here, the leak can be tricky to solve if it's not done exactly to Toyota's install instructions. Worst case is that the entire windshield will have to be replaced along with a new gasket (3rd replacement), unless it's reusable. I'm pretty fed up at the moment, to say the least, but hoping this can get solved without spending another couple hundred let alone a thousand+ for an OEM windshield. So turning to the experts here, do you have any recommendations on who could possibly help get this resolved around Atlanta?

This would be much appreciated!

Background:
I had the windshield replaced a few weeks back since the original windshield was leaky and had some pretty bad cracks. This was replaced with a new aftermarket Fuyao windshield using an OEM gasket, but unfortunately it started leaking again so I left it to get it redone. After reworking it, I took the Cruiser home but since it's been incredibly rainy in Georgia lately, the repair did not hold up. While I should've taken it back to get redone again, the 80 mile round trip from the heart of Atlanta with traffic made it incredibly difficult and inconvenient so I opted to take it to ACC instead to see if there was a solution.

At ACC, they replaced the gasket with another Toyota OEM. However, it continued to leak when they tested it out despite meticulously cleaning out the windshield frame (their attention to detail is great, btw). One thing they noted is that there's a possibility that the Fuyao glass won't play nice with the OEM gasket as it might not be cut to exact spec. They then recommended I call Safelite since their warranty covers leaks.

I call Safelite and set up an appointment. They then call me back telling me that since the leak is a "pre-existing" condition, the warranty will not cover it. So I canceled to save myself the potential headache if something goes wrong. I also called around other shops and even the dealership, but all of them provided a different 3rd party service or wouldn't work on my rig due to its age. The other issue is that nobody is sure if their recommended windshield service knows how to work on Cruisers.

Has your vehicle ever been in a major accident?

Did the installers use the correct Adhesive-Sealant applied both glass to gasket,
then gasket to body, along with the specific primer for the metal prior to installation of the glass??

Unless your frame is out of square from damage of some sort, and rust or missing frame bits is not an issue, this should be straightforward.
TMK there is nothing special about an 80 windshield or how it's installed.
Now the aftermarket windshield on the other hand...

You need to apply sealant both inside and outside the windshield gasket. You'll have to pull.out the windshield put a new gasket in and caulk the crap out of it. I had the same issue, sealed inside and out no leaks even after 4" of rain one night.

Has your vehicle ever been in a major accident?

Did the installers use the correct Adhesive-Sealant applied both glass to gasket,
then gasket to body, along with the specific primer for the metal prior to installation of the glass??

No accidents and everything is perfectly square. I'll have to double check on the sealant as it totally slipped my mind to ask before I left the shop... unfortunately I will have to wait til Monday when it's gonna start raining again. Definitely bringing the fsm instructions next time.

That said, if anyone knows of a reputable windshield installer in Atlanta I'm all ears.

No accidents and everything is perfectly square. I'll have to double check on the sealant as it totally slipped my mind to ask before I left the shop... unfortunately I will have to wait til Monday when it's gonna start raining again. Definitely bringing the fsm instructions next time.

That said, if anyone knows of a reputable windshield installer in Atlanta I'm all ears.
I was plagued you need to get a shop.that applies sealant on both the inside and out. my windshield guy is super experienced and he told me that Land cruiser windshield will leak unless you seal them inside and out which means putting the windshield in first and then lifting up the seal and putting sealing all the way around the windshield both inside and out sorry man it's just the best way to do it or it will leak I had a waterfall in my 80

I was plagued you need to get a shop.that applies sealant on both the inside and out. my windshield guy is super experienced and he told me that Land cruiser windshield will leak unless you seal them inside and out which means putting the windshield in first and then lifting up the seal and putting sealing all the way around the windshield both inside and out sorry man it's just the best way to do it or it will leak I had a waterfall in my 80

I purchased a new OEM windshield and seal from Toyota Parts and Accessories Online - Roseville Toyota in Roseville, CA

They have have whole sales prices on the windshield parts and will ship. Infact the first one I purchased broke on the way the window shop due to some one cutting me off. (Toyota does not ship these well.) It sucked. However the shop that installed mine not only sealed the gasket to the glass, they also put a bead around the factory gasket and glass. The owner said thats they only way they will warranty it. Theres also a PDF of factory install instructions you can print out and Manny members have taped it to their new glass for the installer. If you don't want to fork over $400 for a new OEM, some member have had success with PPG brother quality vendors, However a OEM gasket and double sealantant is always required

I have a 96' 80 and have been dealing with the exact same issue that you are.

I also happen to be in Atlanta so I'm very interested to hear how this turns out..

For a bit of background, the truck I have is new to me in the last 6 months and I noticed water, on the inside of the glass at the bottom of the drivers and passenger's sides. The previous owner had the windshield replaced some time ago and whoever did the repair shouldn't have been paid.

I tried Safe-lite and they actually refused to make the repair so I ended up doing it myself. What the other comments have said is true. You have to use the sealant on the gasket where it contacts the glass, and the paint.

In general, this repair is a huge PITA.. The sealant is almost impossible to peal off of the paint and it will get everywhere if you're not careful applying it.

Unfortunately my repair isn't exactly perfect so I still have a little water on the passenger's side but it's a huge improvement from what it was.

It may be several months but if I continue to see leaks, I plan on cutting the windshield out, again... and this time, replacing the after market glass with OEM along with a new gasket, sealant, etc...

@troutquintet Any luck solving your issue? It's been an awfully wet fall here in the Durty and as someone native to Atlanta who's spent the last 7 years in Southern Arizona and moved back... Turns out the desert was just hiding all my leaks. AZ is a "glass state" so you can get your windshield replaced every three months if you want and insurance covers it. Lotta rock chips. Anyways, I'm chasing all my leaks down and have pretty much narrowed it down to the windshield for my soggy floorboards and was curious how your situation turned out. Looking at buying an OEM gasket and replacing the glass a last time before sealing it up. But was curious if yours was ever fixed?

As said upthread it is fairly straightforward. I followed the FSM and used oem gasket with fuyao glass. I had no problem with it. My wife pressed in from outside while I pulled cord inside. Hard part was sealing. I used Dow Betaseal U-428 Plus to seal outside gasket to frame then outside gasket to glass. I bought a 26 to 1 manual caulk gun. Next time I will rent or buy an electric caulk gun.

As said upthread it is fairly straightforward. I followed the FSM and used oem gasket with fuyao glass. I had no problem with it. My wife pressed in from outside while I pulled cord inside. Hard part was sealing. I used Dow Betaseal U-428 Plus to seal outside gasket to frame then outside gasket to glass. I bought a 26 to 1 manual caulk gun. Next time I will rent or buy an electric caulk gun.

Fair enough. When it comes to windshield replacement though, does this render the gasket unusable? As in the gasket is one time use?

@troutquintet Any luck solving your issue? It's been an awfully wet fall here in the Durty and as someone native to Atlanta who's spent the last 7 years in Southern Arizona and moved back... Turns out the desert was just hiding all my leaks. AZ is a "glass state" so you can get your windshield replaced every three months if you want and insurance covers it. Lotta rock chips. Anyways, I'm chasing all my leaks down and have pretty much narrowed it down to the windshield for my soggy floorboards and was curious how your situation turned out. Looking at buying an OEM gasket and replacing the glass a last time before sealing it up. But was curious if yours was ever fixed?
I’m surprised I never followed up, but yes my issue was fixed and continues to hold tight even with all the rain we’ve seen in GA. Basically the glass shop I used put a heavy dose of the correct sealant on both sides of the seal following the factory recommendation. Apparently it’s a very common issue that they’ve seen with 80s.

I could have reused my old gasket but it had never been sealed. If the gasket has been installed correctly you might damage it in the removal. I guess it just depends on whether or not you damage it

I am having the same issue with my 100 series (in Atlanta) it was replaced in my driveway 2 times and leaked horribly both times by Sefelite. The 3rd time the manager said I need to drive to their main shop to replace a 3rd time. I did that 4- months ago and it worked for a while. Last night after some more downpours it leaked again. I have called Safelight and have to drive there yet again to see if they can fix it. Im going to share some of the recommendations here, but if anyone has something else specific to the 100 vs. the 80 I would love to hear it.

I am having the same issue with my 100 series (in Atlanta) it was replaced in my driveway 2 times and leaked horribly both times by Sefelite. The 3rd time the manager said I need to drive to their main shop to replace a 3rd time. I did that 4- months ago and it worked for a while. Last night after some more downpours it leaked again. I have called Safelight and have to drive there yet again to see if they can fix it. Im going to share some of the recommendations here, but if anyone has something else specific to the 100 vs. the 80 I would love to hear it.
I ended up taking mine Lightning Auto Glass and they solved the issue. Still holding perfectly even after all the rain we've had!

A much more modest approach than those suggested above. When I bought my 80, she was 20 years old, and she leaked by the windshield. At that moment I was not willing to replace the gasket, as she was going to be painted (six years later, the moment has come!). Therefore I tried Capt. Tolley's (Captain Tolley's - Find and Fix Leaks. Formerly Creeping Crack Cure - http://www.captaintolley.com/). To my surprise, it did work very well and the repair has lasted long time. The only recommendation is to apply it slowly and with a syringe, as it is very fine and difficult to remove once cured.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom