Windshield Leak (please bear with me ) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I had a leaky windshield, late last summer I got my windshield replaced.
I ordered the TOYOTA Gasket and took the truck to a windshield place.
It turns out the gasket ordered was the one that accepts the trim/moulding. Took the truck to the windshield place, with the printed FSM instructions and my toyota seal. I didn't know that the seal ordered was the one with the indent for the moulding; I noticed it was that type when I went to get the vehicle.

The windshield was installed, at first it didn't leak now it leaks badly. I took it back and have been told the following:

a) That the primary issues seems to be the gasket used, that the trim that goes on top of the gasket helps the gasket seal to the windshield (was never told this to begin with) - how true is this? In your experience.
b) That because it's an older vehicle sometimes windshields don't seal - I don't know Rick...

Leak is driver side footwell. Shop went through the sunroof, I have as well. It seems to get really bad after a car wash, therefore I am very commited to the diagnosis that the shop provided which was that it's leaking via the windshield/seal

My primary question here is the following: The gasket with the indent for the trim: should it seal without the trim? What can I do to fix this? What can the shop do to fix this?

If I need the trim where can I find it, original or aftermarket - I have tried looking.

your help is appreciated.

Last edited:
77814712-487D-437F-AB8B-A7143C20F88A.jpeg
99385D4B-0630-4AF1-BB38-F6F28BB89A41.jpeg
F1E0E7A7-0D64-4BD8-8981-1A1113FC854F.jpeg

The “trim helps it seal” sounds like a BS line to me (same with the “old trucks leak” theory). If they used sealant between the glass and gasket, and then between the gasket and the frame, it shouldn’t leak.

Was your frame in good shape (no rust or rough edges)? If it was, and they followed the FSM, then it shouldn’t leak.

It sounds like they didn’t do it right and are trying to pawn off their failure on you. Find another shop.

The “trim helps it seal” sounds like a BS line to me (same with the “old trucks leak” theory). If they used sealant between the glass and gasket, and then between the gasket and the frame, it shouldn’t leak.

Was your frame in good shape (no rust or rough edges)? If it was, and they followed the FSM, then it shouldn’t leak.

It sounds like they didn’t do it right and are trying to pawn off their failure on you. Find another shop.

Thanks for your reply - I agree with the sentiment on the "old trucks leak" theory.

AFAIK the frame is fine. The truck has never been rolled. I do not know if there is rust or roughness on the edges once they removed the previous seal as they didn't bring it up to. I have no way to know one way or another as it visually shows in good shape.

Last edited:
AFAIK some non-USA models used a windshield weatherstrip (gasket) with the chrome strip.

Not a parts expert, but for example the windshield weatherstrip (smooth, no groove) for a (USA) 1996 FZJ80 is 56121-60100.

AFAIK some non-USA models used a windshield weatherstrip (gasket) with the chrome strip.

Not a parts expert, but for example the windshield weatherstrip (smooth, no groove) for a (USA) 1996 FZJ80 is 56121-60100.

thanks, so I have the gasket for the chrome trim, the question is is running a seal for the chrome without the chrome a reason to get a leak.

They are yanking your chain.

The Old truck line is BS, so is the line about the trim IMO. Ask them to explain how the trim makes any difference to the seal?

Last edited:
I have had the same experience as you. And I did not believe it was caused by the lack of trim. I am starting to believe because when I put my finger in the grove for the trim and pressed down (as if the trim was in the groove), water came out from under the weatherstrip. And two guys at the shop said the same thing. So I am going to order one without a grove and give that a try.
1674227473394.png

1674227488059.png

1674227497399.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom