Windshield install question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CSteppe82

Legalize Cannabis
SILVER Star
Threads
58C587B3-466C-4A85-9B11-94C18C279658.jpeg
D5B6818B-4E14-438B-A83B-D579D5D153FD.jpeg
227631E6-D5E6-4C0E-BBB3-4A47B50285EC.jpeg
1815784E-3116-4DCC-8694-16E9260D0964.jpeg
i know the gasket isn’t on , but does this windshield look like it’s the right one ?? Will the gasket make up for all the gaps ?? I know it’s hard to see in the pics

This thing is a pain

The gasket on my windshield is only an inch wide, so the glass would have to be fairly close to the frame. Your's does look to be a tad small.

The glass came from Cruiser Corp

Is there another year 40 that has a smaller windshield ?

Mine is a 6/71

I’ll be calling them Monday

You can get a new windshield cut at your local auto glass place. SOR sells a template if they need one.

That is your piece of glass.

The 1965 and earlier 40 series with the vent under the front window on the windshield frame are significantly smaller.

Looks like it is chipped on the driver side top already...

Any chance I have a windshield frame from another year ??

The early w/s gasket is over under style meaning the glass is inline with the pinchweld. Your gasket should be 1/4"-3/16" between the edge of the frame and the edge of the glass. It looks to be correct if you are using the OE style gasket with the lockstrip.
The "rope trick" does not work with this type of install.
The later frames, wipers on bottom, uses a offset style gasket. A larger glass is required to work with it.

The early w/s gasket is over under style meaning the glass is inline with the pinchweld. Your gasket should be 1/4"-3/16" between the edge of the frame and the edge of the glass. It looks to be correct if you are using the OE style gasket with the lockstrip.
The "rope trick" does not work with this type of install.
The later frames, wipers on bottom, uses a offset style gasket. A larger glass is required to work with it.

I’m glad you told me about the rope

I kept thinking I had the gasket backwards ??

CSteppe82- So how did you finally install your windshield- I've got a '67 and new gasket and was thinking the rope method was pretty slick. If POTATOLAUCNER is right, then the rope trick doesn't work.

Brian, I looked into roping mine in, decided not to mess with it and took it to a local shop instead. I brought them the truck, original glass, new gasket and lockstrip. I wasn't as worried about the roping part as I was with installing the lockstrip.

Hey Arnie (@oregon fj ), can I ask you what they charged you? I'm leaning that way also, cause I'll need to buy the lockstrip install tool.
$125. That's seems to be their standard price for this type of install. I called a couple other shops, they were $150-250. (Obviously, the $250 shop really didn't want to do that job.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom