Windshield install on an 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a leaky gasket, windshield and otherwise (as my dad would say- lol!)

I ordered the oem gasket via the internet but need an installer that knows what they’re doing.

Any leads ? Someone said crystal glass but they have a few locations.

no leads, but if you get a good one please pass it along. I will need a new piece of glass in the next year or 2.

I’m trying glassmasters to put in the new seal. Previous owner put in a new windshield and they did not seal well.

I dropped off toyota oem seal, fsm instructions, they will likely use a new glass.

We will see I will report.

Hey, I’m looking for a tow hitch bicycle rack. Any tips, advice or leads ?

I’m interested to see how it goes as well.

I will let you guys know. When they fail it seems they don’t fail right away, when I got my 80 windshield was recently replaced, with mine I didn’t have any issues until about a year later, and slowly got worse. I tried to do a ghetto fix I read up on here and it extended the life a bit but I think it comes a point it’s time. An integral part of not having an issue is using the toyota seal and requesting that the fsm procedure is followed: glue gasket to the frame and glue gasket to the glass- I’ve only drawn these conclusions from what I’ve looked up on mud.

The solace here is that if you do drive your 80 enough, with the way roads are, if it fails in 3 years you may be due for a new windshield anyway.

I think these are the best ones out there for hitches. Might find them at a store in town somewhere?

Thanks man! These are some nice bike racks!

I ended up buying a used thule for the rear tire mount for my 77- installed it put the bike on it, and because the 70 series doors are two, it was a little bit of a pain to close. I'm kind of back to the drawing board.

It looks like finding a hitch receiver rack that will work both for the way an 80 series hatch opens and the style of the 70 series will be tricky.

thought I would provide an update...
I ended up purchasing the original toyota seal for the 80 series/81 series /lx series with an inlet for a trim piece- which is fine, but if you do order make sure you're ordering the right part, almost impossible to tell on partsouq- the expensive gasket is the one with the recess for the trim.

Shop installed with that seal, I was getting a little bit of a leaky drivers side and passenger side.
After rains, driver's side is dry, passenger side is nearly dry, so I will need to see if it's the sunroof drains. I've been parking under a tree that's loosing a lot of leaves and I have used the sunroof a few times this summer (something I rarely do). I'm hoping it's the drains with this tree garbage.

Overall great improvement.
Glass is see through:)alien:)

NS racks are tough as hell. A few friends have had theirs for over 10 years, up and down every mountain you can ride in BC multiple times, no issue at all.
I bought a Kuat NV tray rack, as the NS wouldnt allow me to open my swingouts with it installed, I did have to use a drop extension to allow the bike to clear my spare tire. This wouldn't interfere with your doors.
Has a built in cable lock, and a bike stand too!

I figure I spend thousands on bikes, I am not going to cheap out on the one piece that holds it on my vehicle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom