Windshield hinge pins (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
On of my pins in the windshield hinge is sheared off. I ordered two new stainless pins and bushings. Any bright ideas on removing paint covered old pins?
Should I take the hinges off and get them hot? I hate taking bolts/screws off unless necessary, I seem to snap/strip 1 in 4 even when using all the old tricks for removal.
I'm afraid if I try taking windshield hinge screws out that I may spin the threaded holes inside the frame.

Cheers,
Dylan

I would begin giving the remains of the hinge pin and the screws a shot of a good penetrating oil like Kroil frequently. Using a hammer and good punch I would try to persuade the pin to move.
Take your time. Occasionally (using a hand impact) give each screw a smack. Eventually you will know which is going to work.

On of my pins in the windshield hinge is sheared off. I ordered two new stainless pins and bushings. Any bright ideas on removing paint covered old pins?
Should I take the hinges off and get them hot? I hate taking bolts/screws off unless necessary, I seem to snap/strip 1 in 4 even when using all the old tricks for removal.
I'm afraid if I try taking windshield hinge screws out that I may spin the threaded holes inside the frame.

Cheers,
Dylan

To get the pins out you are going to have to remove the hinges. Got to beat them pretty hard to get them out. I imagine if left on then a cracked windshield would be your next problem.

An impact screw driver helps on getting the hinge screws loose.

Hammer and drift punch on the hinge pins.

I've folded it up and down several times and have been hitting pins and hinge screws with liquid wrench for the past few days. I will continue process till new pins and bushings arrive on Friday.

Ditto on the impact driver. For really stubborn screws, I've welded on nuts to assist in extract after the screws stripped. None of which helps with the pin.

At work we use something called Hilco Lube. I am a PB Blaster fan, but this stuff blows Blaster out of the water. With the wait to order a can from Amazon.

I had to remove mine, then take a thin hack saw and cut down between the slots in the hinges and then drill out the center of the pins. I used bolts to replace the pins for now. Big pain in butt. Happy to be done with them.

Heat and Kroil are good friends-but not with the hinges connected to the windshield-if you get them off add the heat to the hinge-not the pin.

So I got 2 pins and 4 bushing...just 2 bushings each side? Where do they go? Can't even see old ones

not staring at one, i suspect to the inside section. that's the section that technically should move on the pin.

Cheers,
Dylan

Pull off the hinges, you will have get them cherry red to get the pins out. I just did this with mine. If you can cut threw the pins to separate the hinges in two pieces It will make it lost easier, they are probably both broke anyway.

Left handed drill bits are how I remove all stubborn Phillips screws from my Cruiser. The heat from drilling will break them loose before you get to the end of the screw.

Under those hinges is a great place for rust to hide. I would make sure it's not hiding on yours.

Pull off the hinges, you will have get them cherry red to get the pins out. I just did this with mine. If you can cut threw the pins to separate the hinges in two pieces It will make it lost easier, they are probably both broke anyway. Left handed drill bits are how I remove all stubborn Phillips screws from my Cruiser. The heat from drilling will break them loose before you get to the end of the screw. Under those hinges is a great place for rust to hide. I would make sure it's not hiding on yours.

Thanks man. I kinda figured all of the above, great tip on the left hand bit too!

a photo says a thousand words.
Hinge 01.jpg

I'll follow up the great bsevans.

I did battle today with windshield hinge pins off my 71 40 today. Here's basically what worked for me. I heated the hinges to 1000+ degrees with map gas which melted the plastic bushings. I then sliced the pins where the 2 bushings once were. Used a Dremel EZ lock metal cutting disc to cut the pins. The discs are thin enough to cut just the pin and not eat up the hinge. This allowed the two hinge halves to seperate, the long section of pin in the center just fell out thank goodness. Next I drilled a pocket in the remaining 2 short pin sections and used a bolt to press the pin sections out. Squeezed my vise as tight as possible with a cheater and actually had to wail on my vise with a BFH for the pins to budge. Used a big nut or two on the opposite side to keep the pin away from the vise.
IMG_4447.JPG
IMG_4448.JPG
IMG_4449.JPG
IMG_4450.JPG

Victory
IMG_4451.JPG

Last edited:
Haha. Good call:cheers:. My wife and daughters invited me to the new despicable me. I told them I'm at war. :mad:

I cannot believe how seized those pins were.

My hinges were frozen, I tried everything to no avail, like the metals had fused together. I bought used hinges from Classic Cruisers in Salida Co. They were reasonable and did solve the problem. I invested several hours trying to salvage my originals.

This is a common problem, lube your hinges periodically with penetrating oil etc. Flex them occasionally if possible or you will be in for some real grief. Zero Fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom