Windshield hinge fix (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

73fj

Tho at sumbitch in ayer!
Threads
So I decided on Friday that since I'm going to paint the truck again I might as well take off the windshield frame too and replace the glass and weatherstripping. Got a couple of those phillip head screws out no problem. Then the trouble started, after 35 years they didn't want to come out. Ended getting all but two on the drivers side, which broke. Now I'm getting grumpy. So I broke out the cutting wheel. HA!
b4wnshld1.jpg
cut1.jpg
cut2.jpg

Once I had the piece out it was easy to spin out the broken part with some heat and WD-40. Then I broke out my welder and put it back.
weld1.jpg
weld2.jpg

Then I shined it up. When I'm ready for paint, a little filler and she's all good. Nice little Sunday afternoon project. Then I had a :beer:.
finish1.jpg
finish2.jpg
finish3.jpg

Um.........perhaps I am a little late with this, and it doesn't always work. But next time try this, if the screw gives any resistance. Heat it red hot with a torch, wait for it to cool down to black ( about 20 seconds) and they usually come right out.

Great so I'm not the only one working on broken old busted bolts over this weekend.
I've got to say " that's one way to do things". I don't have the tools nor the experience to give all that a try but I had about ten or so bolt like this:
IMG_4355.jpg

took me just under two hours; slow drilling, patience, more slow drill, and patience. In the end I broke to drill bits but was satisfied with the results. Now I've got to rivet on the from windshield brace to the fiberglass top and I'm in business.
Keep on keeping on.....

Chris

Um.........perhaps I am a little late with this, and it doesn't always work. But next time try this, if the screw gives any resistance. Heat it red hot with a torch, wait for it to cool down to black ( about 20 seconds) and they usually come right out.

Those were the only two that really gave me real grief, and they both broke flush. I tried one of those gimmick " grabit " tools that are supposed to reverse the broken part out, they broke too.

Coolerman, there wasn't enough left for me to weld. That was what I would have done otherwise.:beer:

I just heard a new one last week. A buddy and I were talking about tricks learned from old guys, and this particular old guy was a tractor mechanic for John Deere for 40 years.
Removing a broken off bolt/screw: Take a flat washer and center it over the broken off bolt. Weld it around the inside. Grind flat if needed. Weld a nut or bolt to the washer. Simple, but offers advantages over trying to weld a nut or bolt directly to the broken off bolt.

I just heard a new one last week. A buddy and I were talking about tricks learned from old guys, and this particular old guy was a tractor mechanic for John Deere for 40 years.
Removing a broken off bolt/screw: Take a flat washer and center it over the broken off bolt. Weld it around the inside. Grind flat if needed. Weld a nut or bolt to the washer. Simple, but offers advantages over trying to weld a nut or bolt directly to the broken off bolt.
As a current Deere tech, I use that trick almost daily. It's quick and easy and, it almost always works

Well that's just mean, to cut up your truck like that. But man it really turned out nice, well done.

:beer:

Thanks Hawkdriver, sometimes I think this truck channels a little Steven King :skull:, and then I gotta teach it who's boss again.

Hinge Repair

Looks good . I need to do the same but someone ruined the threaded part inside if someone knows of some source for these parts. 69 fj40

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom