Windshield Help ~ Real Time (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

C6H12O6

SILVER Star
Threads
I have the digital, cheapskate version of the FSM for my 1995 80 and I can't find anything relating to the windshield removal/replacement. I'm thinking now that it was in some body work manual I may not have downloaded.

I'm dropping my rig off (again :mad: ) to have the windshield fixed and I wanted to show the guys at the shop the FSM instructions, but I realize now that I don't have them.

Can anybody help me out? Digital copy? Scan the pages and email? I really don't mean to be asking anyone to break copyrights, I'm just in a real bind and I need to get this handled today. If it makes you feel better, I do have a license for the manual in digital form ~ I downloaded it legally from the Toyota tech site. Little help?

I guess I should have just bitten the bullet and spent the $100 on the FSM with Dan. :doh: Next order. I promise. Although, is this even in the standard FSM, or is it in another supplemental manual?

You are welcome to use mine

PM your phone# or email, you are welcome to borrow mine. I can look tonight to see if windshields are covered.

Fawk :mad: , I replaced the front windshield 3x already and all of ‘em LX original windshield.
The FSM should be somewhere close to the last page, and easy to remove the metal piece.

1)Popped the plastic cover on the both wipers and loose the nuts.
2)Also need to remove the metal piece right below the front windshield, all of them Philip screwdriver about 6 or 8 pcs, I think.

By the way how much your guy charge to install the front windshield? My guy charged around 60 buks but then I provide the weather strip/ rubber molding and original winshield.

Leif's charged $165 to R/R the window when they were fixing a rust spot on the A-pillar. Actually, Leif's didn't do the glass work, so I'm sure that would have been cheaper if I had gone directly to the glass guys who did the work. I argued the $165 price, which was 3X what I had seen everywhere else for a R/R, but they said that price was to do it the "right way" as per toyota specs with a new gasket. No new gasket and the SOB leaked the first day. I pulled up the edge, and nothing. No sealant of any kind inside the outer edge between the a-pillar and the gasket.

I'm taking it back in tonight to throw a fit about the repair, so we'll see what happens. I'm kinda hoping that I can get them to refund the money for the repair and I'll deal direct with the glass guys. Unfortunately, they need to pull the window to fix the crappy paint job on the a-pillar. Fisheyes supposedly from the silicone I squirted in to plug the leak before the "repair."

The key is to seal the windshield with urethane.

Here ya go try this link:
BO 44

Its a pdf that I got from the Toy Tech site for my 94. I should be the same right?

BTW: I thought I downloaded everything for my 94 also, but I don't have any of the Air Conditioning Section. And it would be really nice if I had an index, to know exactly what I am supposed to have. But, for $10 I'm not gonna complain too much. Espically since I have the FSM on my PDA... you know for those just in case situations on the road. :)

Last edited:
Thanks to all for the quick response. Looking at my stuff, I didn't download the Body section. :doh:

The FSM pages show part number 08833-00030 or equiv. As far as what Dan says, I am assuming that the equivalent must be a urethane adhesive. I'm gonna roll with that, as Dan has never been wrong. Ever.

Hopefully I can talk the shop into pulling this and doing it again for no $$. I'll let y'all know. I gotta post up pics of my $7K new quarter panel and tail light. It looks great, as long as you don't mind the lower gate still not latching, the rear DS door not latching properly, the upper gate now doesn't open all the way under the power of the lift shocks, the black paint around the back window not matching, and the fisheyes in the paint finish. Sweeeeeet.

Thanks again,
Steve

C6H12O6 said:
I'm gonna roll with that, as Dan has never been wrong. Ever.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Good luck in getting the shop to re-do the glass, or getting the glass place to do it right! ( You DID end up getting the FSM info you needed, yes?)

As far as the fisheyes in the paint go, well, there, you were NOT lied to. (Holy sh**, Batman!) Even in a normal auto assembly plant, they wash and rinse the steel bodies repeatedly, and looking closely, you'll still find the occasional fisheye. Truly caused by oil on the body preventing one of the primer coats from sticking....

IMHO, any aftermarket shop you go to will wash the surface, paint, sand, wash, paint, sand, wash...mostly with just tap water. So if you had silicone or other oils lurking, you're kinda stuck.

Anyway, good luck, and here's hoping for the best. Kick a little a** regarding the W/S.

Dan, sorry to make you blush. Just kidding around.

As for the window, I dropped the Cruiser off this afternoon and gave the guy a copy of the FSM pages (Thanks gbell!!). I had written "Must be urethane adhesive!!!" next to the toyota part number or equivalent note on the page and highlighted it to be abnoxious. Hopefully they get the point. I walked the guy through the steps in the FSM and he is going to pass it onto the glass guy, so we'll see what happens. I should have it back by the weekend.

Thanks again to everybody who responded so quickly. This place is amazing. I can't wait until I've screwed things up enough to start giving people my own sage advice. :cheers:

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom