Windshield glass shimmies when it's cold out while driving on bumpy roads (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

alia176

SILVER Star
Threads
I had a new windshield + new OEM rubber weatherstrip installed this summer. As the temps are dropping, the windshield is shimmying while going over bumps. Should I squeeze in some windshield urethane between the glass and the weatherstrip, then again between the body and the weatherstrip? Or, did the installer forget to do this and I'm now suffering the ill effects? I suppose I can take it back to the shop and ask. I've spent a lot of $$$ at this shop over the years.

1668721926249.png

1668721977490.png

That was the symptom (accompanied by squeaking) when the bond between glass and gasket failed on mine. Minor leak in lower corners but the squeak became too much and installed new glass and gasket with adhesive on both sides of gasket.

Sounds like it wasn't installed correctly: should have adhesive-sealant applied between the glass and the gasket and then between the gasket and the body.

Sounds like it wasn't installed correctly: should have adhesive-sealant applied between the glass and the gasket and then between the gasket and the body.
Exactly. Improper installation.

Yep, improper installation. It will leak.

I had to have a reputable shop with a owner that has been doing windscreens for 40 years do mine twice.

The key is to make sure they are using polyurethane inbetween the glass and gasket and also using polyurethane inbetween the gasket and body.

Also make sure they use adhesive on the full perimeter of the windscreen.

My windshield squeaked and rattled over bumps for years. My breaking point was finding puddles in the cab from the leaks. Called up insurance and had it replaced BUT I spoke with the installer several times and reminded them to use an OEM gasket AND glue the gasket to the body and the glass to the gasket. The work was done perfectly and the new glass is clean and more importantly quiet.

I too had this happen even though I told the installer to properly put glue on both sides. They insisted they did. I was there when they disassembled it and their installer lied to the owners and had not done it properly. If it's loose, they did not properly install the glass. Be there to see them remove it.

Print off the install instructions from the FSM and present them to the shop, ask them to initial the pages as proof that they read and followed the instructions; it's not rocket surgery!

Thanks fellas, I'll peak inside both mating surfaces to see if sealant was used. Tomorrow suppose to be a tad warmer so I'll need to heat up the gasket a tad before trying to peak inside. I'm hoping the shop will do me right as I have a history with them going back a decade but if not, I do have some windshield urethane that I'll appy myself.

In order to properly apply the sealant the windshield needs to come out. It will also require a new weatherstrip.

It's time for an update.

So, I took the 80 back to the glass shop, they dripped some water from a plant watering jug but no water entered inside. Told them about the shimmy, tech tried to move the glass this way and that, couldn't figure it out so he sent me home two tubes of their adhesive they use in their store. I went home, waited for a warmer day, applied the stuff on both sides of the gasket (on the outside). This did in fact cure the shimmy.

Fast forward to two weeks ago and the snow melt started. I had major puddles on the floorboards and found the leak so I made a video of it for the store manager. Figured, if the evidence dried out by the time I arrived at the store, at least I have a solid evidence. Thankfully, water was still coming in and the manager saw it. I sensed that she's an office manager, and didn't come up the ranks so to speak. I might as well be speaking goggyfreakinggook to her but she was polite and tried her best.

At this point, I suggested they start over and I'll provide another OEM gasket. Manager agreed to a whole new glass, another new tint (UV tint, not dark) on the new glass and a fresh install for free. This service took place today and I stopped in about four hours later to check status and the tech came out and told me interesting news.

He stated that the glass that they used previously (starts with T something, see the fuzzy pic below) was actually quarter inch smaller around the perimeter so it never formed a good seal. I asked for PWG at that time but PWG was bought by some chinese conglomertate that starts with F something so I opted for another favorite glass company of time, Pinkerton. Pinkerton was also bought by this T something company and apparently they produce a s***ty glass. The tech was able to move the glass outward from pushing on the inside. He said that water was going up and around the windshield then entering the cab. He corraborated my issue with the shimmying glass issue and the annoying sounds it'd make when going over rough road. I live on a dirt road in the boonies.

FYI: This F something Chinese company owns a large chunk of U.S. glass manufacturers and apparently they are the OEM glass for several car companies, maybe even Toyota. My Benz got this F something glass last summer and I'll take a pic of the namebrand once I pick up the 80.

I'm now waiting for Uber to give me a ride to the shop from the GF's house. Let's see what's coming my way.

Here's the screen shot from the video I made for the store manager just in case I was going to get more lip service in which case, I was prepared to wage a war starting with BBB, social media, years of service with them, blah, blah, blah.

The pencil is touching the water and this is happening on both sides of the vehicle. You can also see dirt tracks caused by water.

Tech content: I found the floor drain plug that is actually located perfectly to catch and route water to the outside under the floor. :hillbilly:

1679947959820.png
1679948045209.png

Really interesting. Wonder why the sealant you got sent home with did nothing to stop the water?
I have near identical water marks in the passenger corner - I added some sealant and it stopped, but it still leaks while driving.

My glass is Viracon (mitusa) but possibly the same issue w/ undersizing.
I was going to run polyurethane sealant to see if I can seal it.

I added some sealant

I was going to run polyurethane sealant

What doesn't did you use previously?

If the initial seal didn't work, adding another type of goop on to of a mismatched type of goop is putting a band-aid on a band-aid.

Sealants fail for a few reasons
- poor prep and cleaning
- poor application techniques (or care factor too low)
- sealant incompatible with base materials, or incompatible with another sealant.

Re-sealing an already leaking screen has a few problems. You're unlikely to get it cleaned up good enough to 100% effectively seal it. You might get lucky.
If you've already used RTV or silicone, polyurethane won't bond to it.

I only sealed a part of the windshield, so when it stops raining, I'll finish the job. It stopped the leak when sitting still anyway.
Only other choice is to the whole shebang, so i'll do this first .

Just some of my observations..subject to debate: After dealing with and resolving my own windshield leaks it seemed to me that a leak anywhere on the outside glass to rubber area would present itself in the inside corners...the lowest spots. In my case it seemed that it was always the glass to rubber seal that was the issue and mine HAD been sealed on installation...but not completely. If you are chasing an inside corner leak (glass to rubber area) you need to reseal the entire outside glass to rubber area not just the where you see the water.
It seems to me that a leaky rubber to metal part of the seal could not find its way to the inside corners (glass to rubber). Maybe ; )

Just some of my observations..subject to debate: After dealing with and resolving my own windshield leaks it seemed to me that a leak anywhere on the outside glass to rubber area would present itself in the inside corners...the lowest spots. In my case it seemed that it was always the glass to rubber seal that was the issue and mine HAD been sealed on installation...but not completely. If you are chasing an inside corner leak (glass to rubber area) you need to reseal the entire outside glass to rubber area not just the where you see the water.
It seems to me that a leaky rubber to metal part of the seal could not find its way to the inside corners (glass to rubber). Maybe ; )
that makes sense, i'll pay attention to that inner interface. Seems to correlate with what Ali is saying too.

It will also require a new weatherstrip.

Dang, this is part I was really wondering about. So you’re saying they double screwed me?

I have a very tiny amount of water ingress in the DS lower corner of mine and I chalk that up to all the precip we’ve gotten in N California this year as opposed to the last few. I had my new windshield installed well over a year and a half ago. Trying to come to a favorable resolution with the previous installer would be a fool’s errand at this point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom