Windshield Glass Replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have to replace the windshield, and the local Glass guy is telling me that the the gasket (oem) is too short. He also says that he is not all that familiar with this type of gasket, despite 30 years of experience. While I say it is OEM, because it came in an OEM sealed package, (both parts) I did not actually check to see if the part numbers were correct, perhaps there are differences ?

any insight would be helpful. thank you

Yes, I believe there are (at least) two different sizes.
Screenshot_20210125-072933_Chrome.jpg

I had this aftermarket one from Spector, SOR-120-03B/A-A/108, and it was too big. I ordered the OEM one and it was correct... not sure what the deal was, but there might be a size change around 74/75

3? sizes of windshield
-wipers above with vent
-wipers above no vent
-wipers below

Idk about "3?" sizes, but it seems possible looking at 3_puppies descriptions. I know there's 2 for sure.

Last edited:
It’s a big loop right? (Sorry, not familiar with later year seal). If so, it’s rubber and stretches. Mine for my 71 was smaller but put it on the glass and it stretches. If he’s putting it on the frame first, then installing glass, it will stretch out as installed. That’s how I did my windshield and all hardtop glass.

Side note, if he’s having trouble, call boat and RV places as this is the kind of glass seal many of them use.

I just reinstalled a friend's 78 Windshield after he did some bodywork and painting. I installed windshields for a living back in the 80's and continue to this day to help the owner with installs here and there. The first misnomer is that the windshield is flat. Where you can install a flat glass replacement, every original 40 windshield is indeed a curved windshield. Its listed in NAGS as an FW (Foreign Windshield) as opposed to an FL. Just run a straight edge on the glass.

When reinstalling the windshield, it would not fit. The only thing that changed was my Friend bought a non-oem replacement windshield rubber. Inside the Non-OEM rubber, where the glass sits, there is a ridge that runs all the way around. I am not convinced that ridge was entirely the problem, but it certainly contributed to it. I believe the Non OEM rubber was just a little bit thicker in other areas that made the windshield not fit.

My friend was given the choice of going OEM, or move on to other risky measures. Because he did not want to wait for an OEM, and we had access to the glass shop for a flat glass replacement in case of breakage, we chose the riskier method.

After some TLC, we were successful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom