Windshield gasket parts and such (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So somewhere along its 23 year long lifespan, some PO had a water leak somewhere and decided to use a tub load of black RTV across top of the windshield and around the sunroof. I want to remove the gunk and properly fix it. Questions are:
1. Will a 3m eraser remove the RTV without burning through the paint? Or what would you use to remove to RTV?
2. What parts or trim pieces should I buy in advance once the gunk is removed?
It doesn't look like its going to rain here for the next 5 months so I don't think I will have an issue. Thanks ya'll.

What a dick, I see no solution that isn't going to be a nightmare. An eraser will help get some off the flat surfaces but all those crevasses are going to be a total pain. Heat gun comes to mind combined with a variety of scraping tools, plastic ones for the painted areas... razor scraper for the glass. How hard/soft is it? Meaning are you sure it's rtv or could it be actual window weld/polyurethane?

What a dick, I see no solution that isn't going to be a nightmare. An eraser will help get some off the flat surfaces but all those crevasses are going to be a total pain. Heat gun comes to mind combined with a variety of scraping tools, plastic ones for the painted areas... razor scraper for the glass. How hard/soft is it? Meaning are you sure it's rtv or could it be actual window weld/polyurethane?
Well if its heat that will take it off, I can wait until friday to start. It's going to be 105F.

Your rivets are 90269-04053
get plenty as you’ll probably wreck a few like I did until I got the hang of it.

In hind sight I would reach out to these kind folks and snag one of these neat Land Cruiser rivet adapters…

The adapter is from an Australian company but they have a US distributor.

68CE9D72-B006-48BF-8E43-6D38351A812F.png

8B1A357B-251D-49EC-A9A9-00C7C656CC2D.png

Why replace all the trim pieces? Can't they be re-used if you are careful taking them off?

That rivet gun extension is cool. I was going to try the add a few random nuts method but that looks way better

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom