windshield frame (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
what year frames fit 1988 bj73
the frame on my 88 land cruiser is rusted on the inside
my cruiser is a right hand drive with fiberglass top

Hi All:

Wayne, is that a part number or a phone number??

Regards,

Alan

----------------------------------------------------

"crushers" wrote:

talk to Dave from Japan 4X4...
56301-90k14

Bruce
at first i was going to say all hard top fold down winshield frames are the same and the rag top are the same
but
then each couple years there is a new part number so i figured i better post up just his year and let Dave take care of the rest... just to be safe.

AFAIK they are all the same.

which seal fails to cause the rust on the part of the inside window frame which is on top of the dash?
what can i do to prevent this?

:cheers:

I noticed last winter whenever I left the BJ74 parked for a few days there was always water on the carpet in the footwell. If the vehicle was slightly canted to the right...the right footwell was wet. If the vehicle was canted to the left...it was the left footwell. I went out one day when it was raining, and just sat in the vehicle; watching. Not long after, I saw a water droplet form and roll out between the inside windshield rubber and the metal frame (right near the seam at the corner). I needed a new windshield anyway, so I ordered one (with a new rubber), and asked the install shop to ensure it was gooped well. I also asked for a call if they saw any rust on the frame when the old windshield was removed (they saw none).

Funny thing was if I was daily driving it for some reason no water would come in.

So, that is one area and reason water can get inside.

This fall, when I do my annual rust proofing, I will also drill access holes (on the vertical posts) at the top and bottom, paint the raw metal, then stick the spray wand in and give the entire interior a heavy misting of wax oils, then seal with a plastic plug.

Last edited:
I noticed last winter whenever I left the BJ74 parked for a few days there was always water on the carpet in the footwell. If the vehicle was slightly canted to the right...the right footwell was wet. If the vehicle was canted to the left...it was the left footwell. I went out one day when it was raining, and just sat in the vehicle; watching. Not long after, I saw a water droplet form and roll out between the inside windshield rubber and the metal frame (right near the seam at the corner). I needed a new windshield anyway, so I ordered one (with a new rubber), and asked the install shop to ensure it was gooped well. I also asked for a call if they saw any rust on the frame when the old windshield was removed (they saw none).

Funny thing was if I was daily driving it for some reason no water would come in.

This fall, when I do my annual rust proofing, I will also drill access holes (on the vertical posts) at the top and bottom, paint the raw metal, then stick the spray wand in and give the entire interior a heavy misting of wax oils, then seal with a plastic plug.

:cool: reply Greg ...

do you think any of the rust proofing fluid would be able to leak onto the electrics in the dash after the treatment?

The A pillar, the vertical pillars on the sides of the windscreen, are hollow in my 78 series troopy, and are open to the rest of the frame from the top (accessable through little black plastic 'port' holes above the doors), and are open into the rear of the dash at the bottom of the pillars.

So, if your A pillars are the same, and that is where you intend to spray the rust proofing, you wouldn't have to drill holes, and it would just run out the bottom of the pillar into the rear of the dash.

looks like a p/n to me

All 70 series fold down w/s frames are the same, yes?

I believe so. Someone claimed they were different widths post 1990 ,but he never came back with the measurement
My supplier says they are the same and my 88 and 95 are the same
I bought one 2 months ago in oz ,cost $650AUD and a drivers door $1600 :eek:wch:

:cool: reply Greg ...

do you think any of the rust proofing fluid would be able to leak onto the electrics in the dash after the treatment?

I might dip my new frame in anti rust prep for a month before painting:D

I think having good rubber round the frame is all important. My 75 series had a small bit where it didnt seal well and now its rusted out. My 73 series is perfect

it is my understanding that all the hard top fold down frames are the same and the only difference i see between the hardtop and soft top frames is the soft top reciever bar...

I don't know if 74's have this as well, but on 70's, when you take the cover off that goes in on top of the wipers ( long narrow cover with slots in it..)

there's some plastic vents snapped in to the sheet metal. they have gaskets, but the gaskets turn to s*** and they leak like sieves .

my passenger side floor was always getting wet till I popped these out and gooped them in with some sealant. ( could actually hear water sloshing when I turned the fan on for a while )

anyways, just another spot water gets in. nothing to do with w/s frames tho.

cheers,
r

Mine is rusting on the inside, there is seam near the lower dash. Every time I went wheeling I would see rust flakes on the dash, well I put a tube through the hole and sprayed RUST CHECK in there, for now , until take the roof off and repair it.

I don't know if 74's have this as well, but on 70's, when you take the cover off that goes in on top of the wipers ( long narrow cover with slots in it..)

there's some plastic vents snapped in to the sheet metal. they have gaskets, but the gaskets turn to **** and they leak like sieves .

my passenger side floor was always getting wet till I popped these out and gooped them in with some sealant. ( could actually hear water sloshing when I turned the fan on for a while )

cheers,
r

Interesting...

That might explain all the water that seems to find it's way into my heater after I take it to the car wash. I've already replaced one blower motor this winter when the water subsequently froze everything solid...

there's some plastic vents snapped in to the sheet metal. they have gaskets, but the gaskets turn to **** and they leak like sieves .

cheers,
r

Maybe this is the solution for my identical problem.:D
Have been searching everywhere to find the source of the occasional drip of water. I inspected/cleaned the drain area under that cover thinking it was clogged although I could not understand how water could get inside at that location. :bang:
Never thought of those pieces.:clap:

I have the same problem, my windshield frame (LJ-70 Rag-Top) is too rusty :bang:

Check this link:

Polyester "Windshield Frame" (Made In France)

Roy Creations

Roycréation, catalogue carrosserie

baie-LJ002

baie-LJ003

I think is great choice :clap:

:beer: :cheers:

thanks for the links :cool:

btw, are you guys dealing with this...
DCP_2038 (Small).JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom