windshield bolts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Doing a frame on rebuild painted the 77 fj40 and I am putting it back together. I do not remember if there are spacers on the two top windshield bolys that attach the windshield to the top. There is about a half inch gap and if I tighten those down it will pull or distort the plate that attaches the top. Any suggestions

No spacer that I know of, but there is the weather strip in there... Loosen the windshield knobs and see what that does for you...

Shawn

Yes I have the weatherstripping along the top in there and the angle brackets line up on the inside so I guess my question is should the windshield frame and the top be flush against each other?

Yes I have the weatherstripping along the top in there and the angle brackets line up on the inside so I guess my question is should the windshield frame and the top be flush against each other?

Do you have the windshield knob spacers in place? Sounds like not, in which case the windshield is being pulled back further than it should.

I got about a half inch of space as well. However, I had to leave it that way for the top to line up with the angle brackets. I just put a stack of rubber washers between the hardtop visor and the windshield frame and pushed the bolts on through to the frame and tightened until snug. No problems here. Of course it was a 78 hardtop on a 74 body. Maybe that made the difference, maybe not. Can't say for sure. But it worked.

Did you take your hardtop completly apart for your frame on rebuild? If so the correct way to re-assemble is to bolt all lower parts together first, windshield to upper door bows, bows to rear sides, sides to rear crossmember above ambulance doors, then bolt the hard top top on. And do this with the front doors on so you can check all gaps. HTH, John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom