Windshield advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hammer45

SILVER Star
Threads
I finally found a source for an original ‘62 windshield and ordered the gasket from Toyota. I have purchased a few windshields in the last few years and it seems that they all get dinged in the first few months. I confirmed from a local glass installer that has been around for a long time that the glass is somewhat lighter now for “safety reasons.” Does installing an original sound like a good plan to you all? Thx d

The original Toyota windsheilds are the best. The few aftermarket windshields I saw had a tint to them. The Toyota glass is perfectly clear

Any other wisdom out there?

If your old gasket is good it can be removed without damaging it and its a good piece to save. If you can get a new gasket by all means use it but it never hurts to save the old.

Exactly what I would do. Can you share the source if there are more available?

Last edited:
I finally found a source for an original ‘62 windshield and ordered the gasket from Toyota. I have purchased a few windshields in the last few years and it seems that they all get dinged in the first few months. I confirmed from a local glass installer that has been around for a long time that the glass is somewhat lighter now for “safety reasons.” Does installing an original sound like a good plan to you all? Thx d
Hi, i'm also interested in your source, if more are available. Thanks.

I prefer the tint band at the top, and have replaced dozens of windshields over the years. Dealer glass is nice, but not any more chip resistant than aftermarket. My glass guy (private shop) did say that Safelite glass is Chinese junk and doesn't fit very well (this mirrors my experience), so you might look for PGW (I think also Chinese). There are body shops that do their own glass, so you CAN avoid glass chain shops if you try.

How expensive is the Toyota WS?

seems every time I replace a windshield, I end up with a rock chip within a month

Firstly, my experience, fostered and supported by a glass technician (who used to make and replace the safety glass windows in our Coast Guard SRN5 & 6’s Hovercrafts) is that the original Toyota OEM windshield is incredibly strong (possibly the strongest he had ever dealt with) and very well made. This makes great sense as these are purposely rugged built vehicles. My original window was clear through-out.
Secondly, after years of use (with a fair bit of winter road sand etching and a wee star, from a rather large rock, directly in front of the driver), in late 2006 I got, what i was told by Toyota, was the last OEM 60 series windshield (made in Japan) in stock in North America (was in Toyota‘s San Francisco warehouse) from Downtown Toyota here in Vancouver, and had it and a new OEM gasket professionally installed in September 2006. It has the blue green tint (which I was told was the “tropical” version) band across the top. It was $453 for the window and $103 for the gasket, at that time.
It still looks great!

Last edited:
Hi, i'm also interested in your source, if more are available. Thanks.
Cruiseryard is a sponsor here on MUD and says he has “one, if I can get it out without breaking it”. He is local to me and doesn’t ship glass. So fingers crossed that it works.

My windshield was cracked and by FL law, your insurance company will replace your windshield for free (no deductible; no increase in your rates). Safelite did mine and the replacement is fine. But, there are two different gasket options. There is the gasket with the groove for the trim that surrounds the windshield, and there's the gasket without the trim groove. Make sure you get the gasket you prefer. I prefer mine without the trim, so I went that route. And yes, the gasket is probably an aftermarket, but it seems to be holding up well (five years and counting).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom