Windshield 2: rusty boogaloo (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Had Safelight pull a windshield today, since they were unwilling to attempt to repair a chip.

As bad as this looks (pic below) it's better than my last one, which you can see here:

My windshield rust battle

Side trim was attached with 3 sheet-metal screws each side, no rivets. And they didn't even have the common courtesy to use the existing holes. So I'll need to fill those extra holes. Need to figure out the best way.

This will turn out just fine. Watch, you'll see. I'll use the same process. (grind to good metal, etch, POR-15, Monstaliner on the roof edge)

Last edited:
1BA5B47E-FC9A-44FF-90D1-978C2A1E2D75.jpeg

Yikes, these threads make me nervous about the condition of mine. I know my windshield has been replaced by one of the POs as the side trim was installed with screws. Luckily they were courteous enough to use the original holes. I cleaned it up, POR'd the exposed areas and reinstalled the trim with factory rivets.

Hoping I don't find something like that when I do go to get my windshield replaced at some point in the future.

update: after researching various ways to fill the extra screw holes, I'm going with body solder. Just ordered some as well as tinning butter from Eastwood.

additionally, I'll be using Eastwood's Rust Encapsulator Plus instead of POR-15

I just replaced my window. No rust, but I did have new holes next to the factory ones. I had a body shop use metal epoxy bonding adhesive color matched to my car. Then I had the windshield shop glue on the new trim. It looks factory and no more holes to cause issues. Only problem I see down the road is trying to save the side trim every time I need a windshield.

Carter

update: I'm finally getting around to really working on this.

once you resolve to use an angle grinder in a reckless manner, the work goes pretty fast. :wtf::snaphappy:

hold my beer and watch this

What? No photos/videos? We gotta see this!

so... yeah... that upper left corner pictured above...

there's no good metal there

I'm crying. Just a little bit.

so... yeah... that upper left corner pictured above...

there's no good metal there

I'm crying. Just a little bit.
That big red Easy button just got out of reach for you. So did the Reset button. If you are not a skilled welder, maybe Slee can solve this for you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom