Windscreen Washer Pump 1986 FJ60 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My OEM windscreen washer pump has given up the ghost. Went to local Toyota dealer - $72 for a new pump.

I have the washer container out of the truck with pump attached. It is not clear to me how to pop the old pump off and replace.

Parts guy at the dealer's said $72 is for pump only, no reservoir.

Any tips on fixing this?

Tricks for disconnecting the pump from the reservoir?

Thanks - no threads on this so any assistance appreciated.

From what I remember it just pulls out. It's just a friction fit of the pump inlet inside the rubber bushing. You should probably replace the bushing too.
winshield washer.jpg

My OEM windscreen washer pump has given up the ghost. Went to local Toyota dealer - $72 for a new pump.

......Parts guy at the dealer's said $72 is for pump only, no reservoir.
First off, buy all your new parts from Cruiser Dan at American Toyota in New Mexico. Even with shipping, he is way cheaper than your local dealer. I bought a used rear washer motor and bag from cruiserparts.net. It worked fine and was only $15. But you will probably be better served by getting the $10 one offered by digger. The cost of new Land Cruiser parts from Toyota is the biggest shock of ownership that I have yet to experience!

First off, buy all your new parts from Cruiser Dan at American Toyota in New Mexico. Even with shipping, he is way cheaper than your local dealer. I bought a used rear washer motor and bag from cruiserparts.net. It worked fine and was only $15. But you will probably be better served by getting the $10 one offered by digger. The cost of new Land Cruiser parts from Toyota is the biggest shock of ownership that I have yet to experience!

I'm thinking he's Down under, in Oz. jusy by calling it a windscreen. should be some local units that you could buy cheap, Ebay?

Thank you 2mbb, The only manual I currently have is for the HJ Series Diesel (Gary at Mudraks if you need one) as this Cruiser has a 12H-T installed.

Interestingly, the HJ Series manual makes no mention of a windscreen washer and does not contain your furnished diagram.

slcfj62, My 1986 FJ 60 has a 12H-T / 5 spd. installed. During the change over we (myself and a young mechanic working off hours) replaced or serviced about everything that moved from front to rear and side to side.

In addition to the washer pump failure, the reservoir plastic is also degraded so I bit the bullet and called Cruiser Dan today and ordered the pump as well as the plastic reservoir - $109 plus shipping.

Thanks to all for your ready responses.

Did you try taking apart the pump. It's a gear pump with a micro filter inside. This will collect stuff and freeze up. Unbend the three metal tabs, seperate and clean all pieces, reassemble then rebend the tabs to hold the thing together.

Live to Ski,

Well, now that you mention it + I've ordered a replacement from Cruiser Dan - nothing to lose by taking the thing apart and seeing what's what.

Maybe it'll resuming working and I'll have a spare.

Did you try taking apart the pump. It's a gear pump with a micro filter inside. This will collect stuff and freeze up. Unbend the three metal tabs, seperate and clean all pieces, reassemble then rebend the tabs to hold the thing together.
Thanks for this post. I did as you suggested and it fixed my problem!

Beat me to it, I did the same, it was just gunked up and once cleaned worked fine

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom