Window Weather Stripping or Molding? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This should help.. it's for a GX but it'll provide a frame of reference.

The photo below is from inside front driver side door.
View attachment 1932418

I canceled my partsouq order thinking I can get the window belt moulding cheaper from a buddy who works parts at a local Toyota dealer. Turns out he cannot get a better price and he does not know how partsouq gets OEM parts so much cheaper.

Now, partsouq is down for maintenance and I'll have to wait until they get back up to place an order.

I am planning to order from partsouq or Amayama. Did you ever reorder and installed the new weather stripping?

This should help.. it's for a GX but it'll provide a frame of reference.

The photo below is from inside front driver side door.
View attachment 1932418

I canceled my partsouq order thinking I can get the window belt moulding cheaper from a buddy who works parts at a local Toyota dealer. Turns out he cannot get a better price and he does not know how partsouq gets OEM parts so much cheaper.

Now, partsouq is down for maintenance and I'll have to wait until they get back up to place an order.

During my brief employment with a Toyota dealer I got a good parts discount 20 or 25% off retail. I bet your friend was similar. Problem is, most (not all) US Toyota/Lexus dealerships seem to markup parts about 100-500% over wholesale. That's not a typo. 100-500%. If they buy a gasket from Toyota for $5, they're probably going to sell it for $10-$25. It's really sad.

I've sucessfully replaced the exterior door belt moulding under the 1st and 2nd row windows. Anyone know how to get the rear quarter panel windows out of the way to access the screw at the front of that rear moulding?

Peel it off and get the chrome color. Same thing is happening to my 92 corolla, but my 2000 LC still has good coating.

Any tips on removal?
definitely need the plastic panel removal tools, like the yellow ones that you can get at harbor freight. they will save you time and damage, frankly with any work you do on the interior of the LC. with them, you do no damage to your panels, w/o them, you will chew them up. at least in my experience, most of the work is in removing the interior top and bottom quarter panel plastic trim, on each side. you also therefore need to remove the hinged plastic plate at the bottom/front of the drop gate, and the plastic trim above that, plus the grab handles, to get out the quarter panel plastic. it was a project. probably 3-4 hours, all said and done, but i was a first-timer. now that i understand where all the panels unclip and so forth, i could do it again in an hour or so total.

it was worth it. the new fresh black molding makes a massive difference, and you get gold stars for restoration!

Screen Shot 2021-04-28 at 6.26.07 PM.png

Thanks!!! I got it!!! New molding looks great. I’m tempted to just replace it all.
that's what i did. check prices at Impex Japan and Partsouq. They currently seem to have the best deals, often 50% or less than a dealership, because the parts are coming from overseas.

After going back and forth, I said screw it and ordered all six for $236 shipped to me.

The ones on the truck are still in pretty good shape but the trailing edge of one of them has started to chip and it's bugging me, so I decided to replace all of them (those who know me know how crazy I get).

More than likely if I can get the current ones off without destroying them I'll probably let them go to someone who doesn't want to pay full-price for new ones.

After going back and forth, I said screw it and ordered all six for $236 shipped to me.

The ones on the truck are still in pretty good shape but the trailing edge of one of them has started to chip and it's bugging me, so I decided to replace all of them (those who know me know how crazy I get).

More than likely if I can get the current ones off without destroying them I'll probably let them go to someone who doesn't want to pay full-price for new ones.
on another topic, how do you like those Nitto Ridge Grapplers? I'm needing a higher weight rating with all my added overloading gear, and I'm looking at their 275/55r20s with 10-ply rating, and the Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws with an 8ply rating... they both look really sexy, but highway noise at 80mph is pretty critical as this rig is also my dailydriver. i've seen some reports that the Nittos lose chunks of rubber on the trails, but that could just be a spammer from another company.

that's what i did. check prices at Impex Japan and Partsouq. They currently seem to have the best deals, often 50% or less than a dealership, because the parts are coming from overseas.
Thanks! I got mine from Partsouq in a bundle with lower control arms, etc. The molding really makes a difference since it's at eye level. Now my rear quarter panel molding looks worn and terrible next to the shiny black.

on another topic, how do you like those Nitto Ridge Grapplers? I'm needing a higher weight rating with all my added overloading gear, and I'm looking at their 275/55r20s with 10-ply rating, and the Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws with an 8ply rating... they both look really sexy, but highway noise at 80mph is pretty critical as this rig is also my dailydriver. i've seen some reports that the Nittos lose chunks of rubber on the trails, but that could just be a spammer from another company.
Hate to chime in but just recently I kicked my Nitto Ridge Grapplers to the landfill. I have to agree that they chunk really bad along with being really loud but not as loud as my previous Nitto Trail Grapplers. If you’re looking for those kind of ratings and more than 8-ply I replaced the Ridge Grapplers with the Kenda Klever RT in 35x12.5r17 and they look mean, hookup really good on the rocks but the best part I got my sanity back and my voice as I don’t have to scream to talk to the person riding shotgun and my hearing has come back now not hearing the loud hum and drone of the tires, don’t have to blare the sound system and can hear my magnaflow which I couldn’t hear over the ridge grapplers. They are quiet and I mean very quiet on the highway. Possibly quieter than my Michelin tires on my VW car. Best part for 35’s out the door paid $1,002.73.

Back to the exterior door weather stripping, thanks guys ordered the parts as mine were cracked and peeling and was starting to deteriorate and let in a lot of wind noise by the window pressure plate seals. So hoping these new ones will really button things up and get rid of that whistle I hear entering the cab when I come across a headwind. Now that I have almost near silent tires on the rig, I can hear everything and realize that looks like my next thing I do to the Cruiser is replacing all the seals for the doors, windows and sunroof as I’m sure they are not doing their job like they used to when they were new.

Reactions: ajs
Hate to chime in but just recently I kicked my Nitto Ridge Grapplers to the landfill. I have to agree that they chunk really bad along with being really loud but not as loud as my previous Nitto Trail Grapplers. If you’re looking for those kind of ratings and more than 8-ply I replaced the Ridge Grapplers with the Kenda Klever RT in 35x12.5r17 and they look mean, hookup really good on the rocks but the best part I got my sanity back and my voice as I don’t have to scream to talk to the person riding shotgun and my hearing has come back now not hearing the loud hum and drone of the tires, don’t have to blare the sound system and can hear my magnaflow which I couldn’t hear over the ridge grapplers. They are quiet and I mean very quiet on the highway. Possibly quieter than my Michelin tires on my VW car. Best part for 35’s out the door paid $1,002.73.

Back to the exterior door weather stripping, thanks guys ordered the parts as mine were cracked and peeling and was starting to deteriorate and let in a lot of wind noise by the window pressure plate seals. So hoping these new ones will really button things up and get rid of that whistle I hear entering the cab when I come across a headwind. Now that I have almost near silent tires on the rig, I can hear everything and realize that looks like my next thing I do to the Cruiser is replacing all the seals for the doors, windows and sunroof as I’m sure they are not doing their job like they used to when they were new.
Much appreciated. Will add to my research. Noise is critical. I'm running 275/55R20 on 8.5" rims. This is the best window molding/tire thread ever! ;)

Last edited:
We finally had a day of decent weather after getting rain for three days in a row, so I decided to take a break from everything else and get this job done.

Removal and installation was a piece of cake for the doors, the quarter panels were a pain but not torturous...

Pulled the rear interior panels off and undid the bolts for the rear quarter window (in the C pillar), opened the window via motor and was able to get enough room to undo the trim screw at the front and get everything out.

20210506_105312.jpg

Very happy with how everything came out. Overall, I was able to do the job in about an hour, taking my time and making sure nothing broke or was damaged.

Just some random pics...

20210506_131812.jpg

20210506_131828.jpg

20210506_105312.jpg

We finally had a day of decent weather after getting rain for three days in a row, so I decided to take a break from everything else and get this job done.

Removal and installation was a piece of cake for the doors, the quarter panels were a pain but not torturous...

Pulled the rear interior panels off and undid the bolts for the rear quarter window (in the C pillar), opened the window via motor and was able to get enough room to undo the trim screw at the front and get everything out.

View attachment 2666998

Very happy with how everything came out. Overall, I was able to do the job in about an hour, taking my time and making sure nothing broke or was damaged.

Just some random pics...

View attachment 2666992

View attachment 2666993

View attachment 2666987
Looks great! Love the red!

Didn't see the video on this thread, but it was a good watch before I replaced my trim.

Great video. Chowcares is doing great work showing how to do some of the basic stuff or even the more complicated. I've found things on Mud that were kinda confusing until I saw his video.

I’m assuming he’s is among us here on the forum somewhere..

Last edited:
Great info!

Do you really have to pull all of the interior panels to get to the screw on the quarter panel window belt trim? The doors seem straightforward, but the quarter panel trim seems painful. Any advice would be appreciated.

Lee
2000 Land Cruiser
2004 LX

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom