1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Window Tint

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by WALoeIII, Jul 6, 2005.

1. WALoeIII

WALoeIII

Do you run it? How dark? Any tips on removing old crappy stuff? I've been going at it with a razer not getting far, is there a chemical I can use to dissolve it or something?

2. LX_TREME

LX_TREME

How dark? Triple tint not 2 layers but 3 layers, not easy job to do 3 layers you need to wait couple days till dry and tint'em over again on top of it.I know its illegal but last time i got pulled over i told 'em i need to protect my investment when you aren't around, so they let me go.Need to remove the glue? go to Pepboys get a gallon paint thinner removal, well it may smell but it really did work pretty well.
    Good Luck.

3. swank60

swank60

Not to totally hijack the thread, but is there good info out there on doing a tint job yourself? I've been thinking about doing it myself but I'm not sure what to do to prep the glass, what to consider as far as tucking the tint under the window seals, etc.

Anyone? Anyone?

4. Bluto

Bluto

5. srafj40

srafj40

Just had the local 3M guy do the sun roof in the Element, darkest they had. Did it for a cold glass of water (was 105 degrees). Of course, he got us for $1300 a few weeks before for all the east and west facing windows on the house. :rolleyes:

6. Exiled

Exiled

I've done this on several Land Cruisers, using the refills for the slide-out razors (hand-held, not inside the holder), a bottle of Goof Off! and blue shop towels. Takes time, but everything comes off. Doing it on a hot day helps.

7. fsusteve

fsusteve

Media:
    Albums:
    If yer retinting, the shop will usually strip for very little to get the business as they use something similiar to a steam machine for quick removal.

I've done mine.....I'd rather pay someone.

8. swank60

swank60

The good thing about this board is that someone will always google it for you and go through everything and find the best one...sometimes I'm just to lazy to mess with stuff. Or I have googlephobia...

:D

9. Red Herring

Red Herring

Media:
    Albums:
    I would say, save yourself the headaches, and get a pro to do it. Its not that expensive, and unless you are experienced, its hard as hell to get it on without bubbles!

I heard that heating it with a heat gun helps get it off, but thats hearsay.

10. Doc

Doc

Media:
    Albums:
    Not really, you just have to be patient and work it with the squeege and soap water. I did all of the windows in my 60 and the front's in my 80 with very minimal trouble.

11. Red Herring

Red Herring

Media:
    Albums:
  12. Doc

Doc

Media:
    Albums:
    Not really, I got Lack-of-cash motivation. I couldn't afford to pay someone to do all those windows, so I had to teach myself. bought a 200 foot roll of tint on e-bay for $60 and went to work. I screwed the first two windows up big time, but since the glue had not dried it was easy to remove and start over. With 200 feet of tint I had plenty to learn with. I think I still have about 100 feet left over. And I've used some of it to tint some of the windows in my home as well.

It's easy on flat windows for windows that curve you have to be a lot more patient. Cruiser windows are flat. (up to the 80 series anyway).

13. swank60

swank60

That's what I'm talking about. Around here I'd suspect the cost of a 60 series window tint would run upwards of $300. Now, armed with Doc's ebay tip, I'm that much more motivated to do it myself.

I've got the skill set to work with tint, as far as the cutting goes - I used to work with ruby and amberlyth, worked as a paste up artist, and build product mock-ups that have to look like a finished package from the factory...a little tint isn't that big of a deal, and the way I see it, why should I pay someone to do something that I can clearly do on my own? (Plus, all the windows are FLAT!)

14. macneill

macneill Rollin’ on 33s

I think a mild tint is fine. When it's super dark, you look like some wanna-be poser gangsta that has to drive with the window half down because it's too dark, or you strive to be a livery driver.

15. tabraha

tabraha Hello My Name is: TAD SILVER Star

Tint is much easier to work with. Easier to cut than ruby and easier than amberlyth. You never told the board you used to be a stripper. :grinpimp: As any good stripper knows, it's all about having plenty of good blades. I think they make special cutting tools but with having a film background I bet you can do it without them.

On an older vehicle i'd go a little darker % than a newer vehicle. Newer vehicles are pre-tinted slightly and the tinting laws take that into account when they set the legal limits. I had my Acura tinted in Houston by Sun Tint. It was 4 side windows and a big back window for $189 out the door tax included. Lifetime warranty against fading, cracking, peeling, scratching. Tint lasted longer than the transmission. :) It's at least worth getting a quote on before the blood sweat and tears.

16. swank60

swank60

I agree. I don't really want to tint my truck, but the heat/sun here in TX is just too much. I'll do it more out of necessity than anything else.

tabraha - I used to love the look on people's faces when I told them "Yeah, I work as a stripper sometimes, too..." :grinpimp:

Good thing I have the oil loss problem at the top of my list. This whole discussion has just opened up the internal debate a little more...

17. apcoleman

apcoleman

I run a 30% on my front windows to try and match the rear on my 80. I was able to get a brown tint so it comes pretty close to a match color wise.

18. Doc

Doc

Media:
    Albums:
    Swank, I believe most states allow you to tint the rear windows as darkly as you care to. The limiting comes into play on the front windows. In most states tinting on front windows has to be less than 80% (80% transmittance, 80% of the light gets THROUGH) so it's pretty much impossiable to abide by the laws on the fronts.

I found that they key for me was using a LOT of non-ammonia based window cleaner, the wetter the window was the easier it was to position the cut piece of tint. Then, spray the outside of the tint again and work the squeegee across starting in the middle. Use a small squeegee you can buy at a dollar store. Use a credit card to get into the small spots. Don't use the squeegee on a dry tint, always have some cleaner on the tint to act as a 'lube'.