Window Tint (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
3M, Llumar, SunTek, Solarguard...

I want to spend $200 or less, and I want glare and heat protection more than looks.

Not terribly concerned about it being legal, but I do not want it so dark that it is obviously illegal. In Florida, it is 25% for reflectivity and 25% light transmittance on the sides, and 6% in the back.

I'm thinking about the legal limit on the sides, but lighter in the rear because back up lighting in theses vehicles is atrocious. No idea what brand. I do not want ANY kind of refelctive ("mirror") coating, or any odd color. Black. Scratch resistance is a real plus, as my kids are rough and my doggies often go for rides.

Please post up your tint jobs and please tell me what brand, % tint, how much (installed), and what your thoughts are on this subject.

Suntek "Carbon," just yesterday for $180.

Limo (5%) on back, 15% on fronts.

I'm happy so far.

attachment.php

Gotta lose that chrome, especially against that black tint. And what front bumper is that?!

spent $200 on a local pro job years ago: worth every penny. only downside is that darkest in back makes backing at night a challenge. solution: additional backup/work lights.

Hope for you scratch resistance has improved, as my job got dinged by DS seatbelt mostly, and buddies dog toenails as next frequency, but more damage.

the good news is that my pops fleet window buddy will pull old and retint for... another 2 benj.

Yeah, debating murdering it out, but I'm on the fence.

The bumper is homefabbed, not done yet, need to cap the ends and clean up my booger welds.

Got a link or wanna post up some shots? Looks interesting.

As for murdering your rig out, I think it is a must. Only pristine low-mileage rigs of a few certain colors get away with the crome. The rest...looks out of place, to me.

Got a link or wanna post up some shots? Looks interesting.

As for murdering your rig out, I think it is a must. Only pristine low-mileage rigs of a few certain colors get away with the crome. The rest...looks out of place, to me.

Here's a shot in my old garage about a year ago, not much different now. I'm actually thinking about taking it off, cutting back the fenders (ala FJ80 style) and building another that's all plate, integrating the lower turn signals into the bumper.

sorry for the hi-jack, there's pics in my build thread too but I modded the lower bars as they were at a s***ty angle.

attachment.php

What is the technique for installing tint yourself? Do you take the glass out?

What is the technique for installing tint yourself? Do you take the glass out?

Nope. You clean the glass to near surgical conditions, use an exacto blade, soapy water solution and a sqeegee, and then curse yourself forever after when you see bubbles and overlapping or missing areas. YMMV, but that's why I pay to have it done.

I had Llumar ATR30 applied to all windows except for the rear hatch which is ATR15. It is metallic based with a lifetime warranty (covers material and labor) and guaranteed not to change colors (purple tint sucks). I would prefer darker but what's done is done...
bg_tx-albums-1989-fj62-spring-shackle-lift-picture6535-3-hfs-springs-extended-anti-inversion-shackles-1-2-2.jpg

I can't comment on heat rejection, etc since I did no pre/post install measurements.

Price in AZ

Just had all the old tint scraped off, and new tint on all windows yesterday, including a windshield stripe on the replacement windshield that is less than one year old that didn't have a tint strip, for 175.00 out the door lifetime. Took the dude about 3 hours, and worth every single penny.

Driving to work this morning was disconcerting as I was so used the amount of light that came in. Will post pics tonight when I get home - also putting the sun shade up for the first time to see if the inside temps drop due to the tinting.

Suntek, state minimums 10% - 15%? on the fronts, 60% (had 65% but chose not to go that dark) on all the others, and 65% on the windshield stripe. Not sure of which particular Suntek brand it is, but I asked for maximum heat control, more than light.

Glenn in SUNNY Tucson, AZ

A tint shop told me "Purple Tint" is due to the windows being cleaned with an amonea based cleaner like windex. Foaming glass cleaners are the way to go to avoid purpleness. Also use a quality film to start with.
My .02

gila
one 65% roll for driver and passenger and 4 rolls of 5% limo for rest
and 3 hours of free labor

2010-09-06190303.jpg

2010-09-09183830.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom