Window tint residue removal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The window tint from the PO began to peel so I just pulled it off...bad move. Now I have this residue, presumable glue, on my window. There is plenty of info online about removing the tint the correct way with heat/steam, but that horse has left the barn. I can't find anything about removing the residue after the tint is off, any suggestions?

I removed mine with a clothes steamer and scraper. Careful on the rear window!

I am not sure about your application but I use wd40 for stickers and the like on all manner of surfaces . Just let it soak and it peel it when damp or in your case maybe scrape with something?. Seems to do really well with glued things. Might be worth a shot

I used the steamer because I had it available, the WD40 works too.

I removed mine with a clothes steamer and scraper. Careful on the rear window!
That's the point of my post--I did not steam it off (mistake). Had I done that, there would be no glue residue left on the window. The tint came of easy, but left the glue residue all over the glass.

A friend told me to us 409 and a razor blade, but I'm a little nervous about getting a gouge with the razor on glass. Maybe a throttle body & carb cleaner?

Denatured Alcohol and a rag should take just about any kind of residue off of glass. Do a 50/50 mix in a spray bottle. Should do the trick.

Fingernail polish remover, i.e. acetone and a razor blade is what I used.

Goo gone...

Remove the door card or cover it well before you start using any chemicals like finger nail polish removal (Acetone) on the glass, you don't want to get splatter on anything that is painted or made of plastic or leather (dye), you'll have a worse mess on your hands.

Last edited:
Remove the door card or cover it well before you start using any chemicals like finger nail polish (Acetone) on the glass, you don't want to get splatter on anything that is painted or made of plastic or leather (dye), you'll have a worse mess on your hands.

Absolutely true!

This will sound weird, I have removed glue residue with packing tape. Just work with say 12" length of tape and often the glue on the tape is stronger than the glue residue on the glass. I've not done it with tint glue, but worth a try.

That's the point of my post--I did not steam it off (mistake). Had I done that, there would be no glue residue left on the window. The tint came of easy, but left the glue residue all over the glass.

A friend told me to us 409 and a razor blade, but I'm a little nervous about getting a gouge with the razor on glass. Maybe a throttle body & carb cleaner?

WD40 and a razor scraper will do. the glass will not get gouged with the blade. The rear window you have to be careful with the defroster filaments. On mine the defroster doesn't works, besides we only have one season here, summer...:D

Not that hard. Get a couple of single edge blades and plenty :beer::beer::beer:. Then after you are finished, you can go to the "What did you do on your LC during the weekend" thread and post your results... LOL!!!

old fashioned blue windex and a single edge razor blade (or a dozen).

The windex is basically shave gel for glass + tint adhesive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom