Window Seals/Weatherstripping Overhaul (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I seem to remember something about the old grease turning yellow and waxy. Didn't take any pictures, unfortunately. Here's what a brand-new door lock cylinder looks like:

View attachment 2936118
There's clearly grease at the end, but I don't see any on the tumblers, if that's even the right term for what we're looking at.

Maybe @ToyotaMatt has some idea how they're greased from factory. He's been posting a lot about keys lately.

I can tell you that I recently improved a Honda motorcycle lock cylinder by cleaning it with brake cleaner shot into the key-way, running the key in and out, turning it several times, followed by some graphite Lock-Ease aerosol. Unless corrected by a Toyota expert, I'll go with what I've always been told: use graphite for lock cylinders.

FULL Synthetec FOOD service grade Di-Electric Grease found at west marine

lock smith secrets sauce

As I do live in the PNW we get lots of rain. Before I bought my 80 almost a year and a half ago PO said he would change the seals. Now that its on the West side of the country its starting to show. Most of my windows have been working very slowly in the cold, window runs are getting pretty hard and gunky. Or just getting torn apart. This weekend I'm going to start working on replacing everything. Going to be a slow process because my goal is to get one window done per weekend. As I have never done anything like this.

Before I do start I do have a couple questions. What grease/lube do you guys use for the window motor? The rails more specifically, mine are pretty dry.
Also, how exactly do you remove the glass from the door? You just unbolt the 2 10mm bolts on the glass then it slides up and out of the door?

View attachment 2935461

View attachment 2935462
I’m a noob, so if this is covered somewhere else, please forgive me. Do you happen to have the vendor and part info for all these? TYIA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom