Window Regulator (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My driver's side front window has finally crapped the bed. I have a new window regulator on order but it won't arrive until 10/7. I can get the window rolled up 99% of the way, but not the last 1/8th of an inch. Any tips on how to accomplish this? Also how difficult is replacing the regulator?

Assuming this is for an FJ60... Grab the glass on both sides with the door open and push to the top.

Regulators are not bad. Remove door panel, peel back plastic to access the sheet metal openings at the bottom, undo bolts that holds window glass to regulator, secure window glass in door, unbolt regulator from door, remove old regulator, install new regulator, re-attach glass, straighten things out, ensure operation, put door panel back on.

This was just going off of memory when I took my regulators out and greased them a few years ago. I have new ones to install actually. You will need to move the window around a little when you are taking the regulator out so just keep that in mind. Not a difficult task at all.

HTH

Easy to replace I've done 4 in the last 3 months. Worth doing as even greasing the old ones didn't fix my issue completely. The springs on the regulators just wear out after 30 years!

I got mine from Rock Auto as they had a killer price and they were the same cost as used ones so I went new!

Definitely easy to replace... Get yourself a nice block of wood to jam in there and keep the glass up while you work on the regulator... bolts are M6x1.25 if I remember correctly. Might be worthwhile to grab a few extras just in case.

I'm having hell with my rear driver's regulator. It keeps running off the track that is attached to the glass. It holds the window up just fine, but I can't roll it back down, without the window just falling. I pulled the passenger side panel, to compare, but I cant see what the difference is.

I'm having hell with my rear driver's regulator. It keeps running off the track that is attached to the glass. It holds the window up just fine, but I can't roll it back down, without the window just falling. I pulled the passenger side panel, to compare, but I cant see what the difference is.

So the glass is separating from the regulator when you go to roll it down? Look for the bolts that clamp the window onto the regulator, make sure they are there. Does it have a lot of resistance when rolling down or does it just go smoothly and fall off?

There is just a track attached to the bottom of the window and the regulator roller wheel slides in it. I don't recall any bolts, but I will take a peek later.

There was a rubber-like gasket called "packing tape" that held the glass by pressure fit. It comes in various thicknesses (available at auto glass shops), and sometimes you have to double up. Fit is by trial and error, and if you get it pretty tight you can use WD40 on the packing tape to soften it up. You end up beating the channel onto the glass (put the top of the glass on wood). Alternatively there is ready-mix epoxy with a nozzle but you'll hope it's the last time you have to do that.

Left-right placement on the glass is critical so look for dust marks or take the panel off the other one to check.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom