Window & lock switch maintenance (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spook50

Skål
Supporting Vendor
Threads
So several years ago @slcfj62 posted a thread on a semi permanent fix for the power windows and locks in our FJ62s. After running the power lock mod for many years I began to notice over time a significant loss of power to the locks again, with my driver's side rear often not rising at all under battery power in warm weather. I realized, duh, that mechanical relays, like our switches, have hardened contacts inside that, with the arcing from making and breaking high current circuits over time, will pit and develop a buildup causing resistance in the circuit. Now to @slcfj62's credit, it's easy to replace a relay. Pop it out and pop a new one in, viola, done. In the near future I intend to do a much more in depth relay circuit though that will add a full power source to each door, and four relays (two each for the window motor and the lock solenoid) in each door to provide full voltage and current to each device while still being easy maintenance. With the power of each lock solenoid passing through its own individual relay, this will also greatly reduce arcing and considerably lengthen the maintenance interval of having to replace relays. Downside is that the auto-down function of the driver's window will be lost. Personally, I never used it anyway so I'm not concerned.

In preparation for my own mod, I removed the relays I had initially added to the power lock switch and reverted to the factory circuit. This got me curious to try something though. Since my front doors were apart I cleaned and lubed the window regulator and track mechanisms (as an experiment I lubed with Fluid Film. Not sure how long it'll last but it seems to work good initially), and lubed the rubber track with CRC 03044 dry film teflon lubricant. I dismantled my main switch assembly and looked at the contacts and they were in rough shape. Very pitted and a great deal of buildup. My hands were nasty so I wasn't able to take a good pic of the worst one; the power lock switch. But I did get a pic of one of the rockers with buildup on one of the contacts.

Siwtch 04 - Rocker Contact 01.jpg

To clean all the contacts (both in the individual rockers and in the switch housings) I used my Dremel with a carbon steel wire wheel bit [EDIT: recommend a brass one instead. It'll remove carbon buildup but much less actual metal than the steel wheel] on high speed and with very light pressure. It cleaned all the contacts beautifully and wasn't so abrasive that it took away metal. You can easily see how pitted they are. And this wasn't the worst of them by far.

Switch 05 - Rocker Contact 02.jpg

There wasn't much left of the contacts in the switch housing for my power lock switch, but I still had enough to work with, so at least there was that. Here you can see the window switch housing cleaned up using my Dremel. Surprisingly not in horrible shape, but there was still a lot of buildup to clean off.

Switch 01 - Cleaned.jpg

Now here's where I made an interesting discovery. I have a tube of carbon conductive grease, so I used a toothpick to smear a tiny dab on each contact in the switch housings. Not a lot, but just enough to fill the pits and create a large "like new" contact area and hopefully reduce arcing as the circuits are opened and closed. Much like using thermal paste to fill voids on a CPU core and heatsink.

Switch 02  Grease.jpg

Switch 03 - Grease applied.jpg

I learned through trial and error not to put any in the center (darker copper colored) contacts where the rockers rest, as when the switches are used the rockers will actually break contact with certain center contacts depending on which way they're pushed, and the clearance is so small that even a tiny dab of grease was preventing that from happening (the exception was for the window on/off switch, as the current for all the windows passes through this switch. You can see where I put grease on the points that the rocker for that rests on). So I stuck with just applying it to the outer contact points, and I'm pleasantly surprised with the improvement it made. My locks are back to trying to jump out of the doors; right on par with when I first added the relays to the lock switch, and my windows work noticeably better. They still don't feel as "strong" in their movement as a new car, but I'm hoping with new window motors and the relay mod I'm planning, they'll be very close.

If any of you are wanting to maintain what power there is for your windows and locks but for whatever reason don't want to modify factory wiring, this will probably be your best solution. Downside is, I imagine this will need to be done every couple years to keep the grease fresh. Long story short there really is no "permanent" maintenance free solution and like all electromechanical systems, it needs to be maintained. I think this will be the best maintenance regimen for these switches though to make them last.

Last edited:
I am also planning to do a relay mod on the windows and locks when I stumbled upon this thread. I just purchased a tube on Amazon and will be giving this a shot in the coming weeks. If I can maintain my factory wiring with a little bit of maintenance every year or two, I'm more than fine with that. Great write up!

I am also planning to do a relay mod on the windows and locks when I stumbled upon this thread. I just purchased a tube on Amazon and will be giving this a shot in the coming weeks. If I can maintain my factory wiring with a little bit of maintenance every year or two, I'm more than fine with that. Great write up!
Wanted to post up now that I've run my switches with this grease for a while. After a few months each switch with it stopped working. It seems that this grease does NOT lend itself well to constant make and break points (like high current switch contacts). It does still work great for long term attachment points. Terminal contacts or body grounding locations. Threaded parts (like the dome light switches in the door jams) get copper anti seize. I broke the plastic on one of the window switches today actually, so since it's been rendered userviceable, I'm going to see how long a spot of copper anti seize will last on the contacts. I'm suspecting it'll just fall to a cleaning of the contacts every few years (with the dremel brass wire wheel as opposed to the carbon steel wheel I mentioned in my original post, and contact cleaner) to maintain the switches and that's that; leaving the contacts dry.

BUT, if my version of the relay mod works as well as I hope it will, maintenance of the switches will be eliminated (since they'll only be passing milliamps of current as opposed to several amps; practically eliminating the high current arcing that causes wear), and any maintenance needed in the long term will fall to simply replacing the appropriate relay if a window or lock stops working (or works poorly) in any direction.

Wanted to post up now that I've run my switches with this grease for a while. After a few months each switch with it stopped working. It seems that this grease does NOT lend itself well to constant make and break points (like high current switch contacts). It does still work great for long term attachment points. Terminal contacts or body grounding locations. Threaded parts (like the dome light switches in the door jams) get copper anti seize. I broke the plastic on one of the window switches today actually, so since it's been rendered userviceable, I'm going to see how long a spot of copper anti seize will last on the contacts. I'm suspecting it'll just fall to a cleaning of the contacts every few years (with the dremel brass wire wheel as opposed to the carbon steel wheel I mentioned in my original post, and contact cleaner) to maintain the switches and that's that; leaving the contacts dry.

BUT, if my version of the relay mod works as well as I hope it will, maintenance of the switches will be eliminated (since they'll only be passing milliamps of current as opposed to several amps; practically eliminating the high current arcing that causes wear), and any maintenance needed in the long term will fall to simply replacing the appropriate relay if a window or lock stops working (or works poorly) in any direction.
I appreciate the update and insight. Maybe I'll hang onto this tube, maybe I'll return it. It was $20.00 and I seem not to be having any "electrical gremlins" on my rig at the moment since she sits mostly in a fairly climate mild garage with the bi-weekly outing on a nice day or some light trail duty.

I would love to read up on your relay mod when it's ready, I'm of the mind that high current only needs to be going to the motor and shouldnt be going through any switch on a car at any time. Strange design from Toyota. (don't hesitate sending me a PM when you post your solution up).

I appreciate the update and insight. Maybe I'll hang onto this tube, maybe I'll return it. It was $20.00 and I seem not to be having any "electrical gremlins" on my rig at the moment since she sits mostly in a fairly climate mild garage with the bi-weekly outing on a nice day or some light trail duty.

I would love to read up on your relay mod when it's ready, I'm of the mind that high current only needs to be going to the motor and shouldnt be going through any switch on a car at any time. Strange design from Toyota. (don't hesitate sending me a PM when you post your solution up).
I'd honestly hang on to the tube. It is a handy thing to have for long term electrical connections.

My frame of thought is the same as yours as far as high current going through switches; ESPECIALLY switches that are getting more difficult (and/or spendy) to replace. I'd much rather have a modern relay that's built to an industry standard and easy to replace, while at the same time preserving the switch for a longer life span. What I'm planning involves running wires, but not too horrible (10AWG power and ground to each door from a Ron Francis PB15 breaker panel (auto resetting breakers; also a modern industry standard), then four relays in each door (window up, window down, unlock, and lock). The driver's door will be different since it already has window relays (which I'm replacing the original ones in the green box; luckily those ARE industry standard and easy to source on DigiKey), but I'll still be adding relays for the lock solenoid, and for the keyless entry I plan on installing along with its small box.

What's slowing me down is finally helping my family move out of my place and gaining space back, focusing on my gauge regulator project that has been LONG in the works, and having to order the 16 relays and sockets I'm gonna need 😂

@mattressking I had thought of that as well, but the contacts are much harder than lead based solder, and the heat needed to melt silver based solder (which I'm still honestly doubtful is as hard as the contacts) would severely melt the plastic that the stationary contacts are mounted in (which seem to take the most damage from the arcing. I suspect they're not as hard as the rocker contacts).

Last edited:
I'd honestly hang on to the tube. It is a handy thing to have for long term electrical connections.

My frame of thought is the same as yours as far as high current going through switches; ESPECIALLY switches that are getting more difficult (and/or spendy) to replace. I'd much rather have a modern relay that's built to an industry standard and easy to replace, while at the same time preserving the switch for a longer life span. What I'm planning involves running wires, but not too horrible (10AWG power and ground to each door from a Ron Francis PB15 breaker panel (auto resetting breakers; also a modern industry standard), then four relays in each door (window up, window down, unlock, and lock). The driver's door will be different since it already has window relays (which I'm replacing the original ones in the green box; luckily those ARE industry standard and easy to source on DigiKey), but I'll still be adding relays for the lock solenoid, and for the keyless entry I plan on installing along with its small box.

What's slowing me down is finally helping my family move out of my place and gaining space back, focusing on my gauge regulator project that has been LONG in the works, and having to order the 16 relays and sockets I'm gonna need 😂

@mattressking I had thought of that as well, but the contacts are much harder than lead based solder, and the heat needed to melt silver based solder (which I'm still honestly doubtful is as hard as the contacts) would severely melt the plastic that the stationary contacts are mounted in (which seem to take the most damage from the arcing. I suspect they're not as hard as the rocker contacts).
Sounds good.. well my windows and locks only move a few times a month if that, so I can probably survive until then. I was going to break into the door inserts some time this month and check the condition of the moving parts and track to see if it can be improved with some lubrication.

Question -- If I have a solid ground connection or a permanent type of connection without corrosion, couldn't I just use some di-electric grease to cover the connection? Is it worth having a tube of this conductive grease instead? I'm thinking back to the tube of anti-seize I have for over 15 years that has now separated into liquid and solid over time, haha.

Sounds good.. well my windows and locks only move a few times a month if that, so I can probably survive until then. I was going to break into the door inserts some time this month and check the condition of the moving parts and track to see if it can be improved with some lubrication.

Question -- If I have a solid ground connection or a permanent type of connection without corrosion, couldn't I just use some di-electric grease to cover the connection? Is it worth having a tube of this conductive grease instead? I'm thinking back to the tube of anti-seize I have for over 15 years that has now separated into liquid and solid over time, haha.
As far as the anti seize, you can still mix it up again and it's good as new. This stuff really doesn't expire. Dielectric grease is good for preserving bare metal around an electrical connection, but honestly I rarely use it anymore aside from spark plug and distributor boots.

I just finished reinstalling all my door cards last night.

I took apart the switch assembly as you suggested but saw that all my contacts were in perfect condition. No putting/arcing/black spots what so ever, with exception of one switch contact near the edge of the switch. I didn't even bother to clean it. Getting it back together was a little hard.

The biggest thing that helped my situation was lubing the tracks for the windows and the power door lock pivot points just needed some lube as well. They all seem like they want to jump out of the door. Windows make a little noise when coming up and down, but otherwise operate smoothly and at least twice the speed they were before.

Long - term I am still looking for ways to bullet-proof the windows and door locks so... will be waiting for your results!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom