Wanted window Hinges and tie downs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

offrd63

Ain't you done yet!
Threads
Hey all

I would like to be able to fold my 63fj40 front window down.
I need everything. Hinges, pads, tie downs.
Thanks
aw

windshield hinges

I have a good set from a 78 fj40 -$50usd plus the ride. Pm if your interested in them

if you go 78, you have to move the w/s rests on the hood. i might have a set of early ones...i know i have one complete one, but it needs the old pin out of it and a new one in (been cut in half by po). pretty sure i have at least one more down stairs. i'll check this weekend.

nuclearlemon said:
if you go 78, you have to move the w/s rests on the hood. i might have a set of early ones...i know i have one complete one, but it needs the old pin out of it and a new one in (been cut in half by po). pretty sure i have at least one more down stairs. i'll check this weekend.

So my 63 was manufactured in 62. Will the 78 hinge work with it? My window wasn't ever a fold down. I need to fing the w/s rests and tie downs also.
aw

Sorry,
I'm not sure if the 78 hinges will work for you as I never tried to fit them to a 63.Let me know if you want them? I may also have a set of the matching hood rests if need be.
Thx

offrd63 said:
So my 63 was manufactured in 62. Will the 78 hinge work with it? My window wasn't ever a fold down. I need to fing the w/s rests and tie downs also.
aw
if yours was factory hardtop the hood won't have any holes drilled for the holddowns, so you can mount them where ever you want, so you don't have to worry about oem holes not being in the right place. be sure to check your wiper arm clearance though...they might contact the hood.

windshield should be hinged, just won't have the hooks/rests. they all had hinges unless someone changed it out to the plates ike specter sells. you'll also need to weld some loops on the w/s frame for the hooks since early hardtop didn't have those. (just small flat stock, with a little bend in the middle)

nuclearlemon said:
i do have one complete, but frozen early hinge (will need to be heated, then worked back and forth until it loosens) and the one hinge that needs the pin. !$12 shipped if you want em.

nuclearlemon said:
i do have one complete, but frozen early hinge (will need to be heated, then worked back and forth until it loosens) and the one hinge that needs the pin. !$12 shipped if you want em.

Mine does have the hinges put they too are frozen. I tried heating and banging years ago and never got them to brake loose.Any ideas on where to sorce the pins?
I did find the pads and tie downs at CCOT. They look like they would work.
Thanks all for the replies.
aw

got to get them red hot. put one end in a vice and bolt a piece of stock to the other end. once red hot, start rocking it back and forth while spraying lube on it.

Alec, the w/s hinge pins are the same as the door hinge pins, so you can buy new ones most places for 2.50ish per. The early w/s rubber bumpers are flat, unlike the stepped ones CCOT sells. I have the 63 vintage bumpers, NOS.

That said, if your hood really has no holes in it currently, you might as well buy the 75 and newer setup because otherwise your w/s hooks will have nowhere to rest when they're not holding your windshield down unless you go thru the trouble to get those little triangular tabs the early hoods had.

65swb45 said:
Alec, the w/s hinge pins are the same as the door hinge pins, so you can buy new ones most places for 2.50ish per. The early w/s rubber bumpers are flat, unlike the stepped ones CCOT sells. I have the 63 vintage bumpers, NOS.

That said, if your hood really has no holes in it currently, you might as well buy the 75 and newer setup because otherwise your w/s hooks will have nowhere to rest when they're not holding your windshield down unless you go thru the trouble to get those little triangular tabs the early hoods had.

Mark,

I now see your point with the bumpers. Now my question is the 58-74 hinges. I appears that a solid mount plate will fit 58-84, but the hinges are early, or late models. What is the difference in the two style hinges?
aw

the later hinges are two "L" shaped pieces with the hinged portion sticking out. this allow the w/s to pick up in back (it also goes a bit farther forward) when you drop it to clear the wiper motor.
poser.jpg

The later hinges are also a slightly different bolt pattern. A little drilling will make them work. I'd try to get some pre-12/74 hinges and '75-'84 bumpers ... you'll want them taller plus have a place to hook the latch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom