Wanted window Hinges and tie downs (1 Viewer)

offrd63

Ain't you done yet!
Joined
Feb 16, 2002
Messages
387
Location
Montrose CO
 
 
 
 
Hey all

I would like to be able to fold my 63fj40 front window down.
I need everything. Hinges, pads, tie downs.
Thanks
aw
 

mike

82bj42 1st project
Joined
Mar 12, 2003
Messages
2,754
Location
Toronto,Canada
 
 
 
windshield hinges

I have a good set from a 78 fj40 -$50usd plus the ride. Pm if your interested in them
 

nuclearlemon

not an addict
Moderator
Joined
Jan 30, 2003
Messages
16,394
Location
windy wyoming
 
 
 
if you go 78, you have to move the w/s rests on the hood. i might have a set of early ones...i know i have one complete one, but it needs the old pin out of it and a new one in (been cut in half by po). pretty sure i have at least one more down stairs. i'll check this weekend.
 

offrd63

Ain't you done yet!
Joined
Feb 16, 2002
Messages
387
Location
Montrose CO
 
 
 
 
nuclearlemon said:
if you go 78, you have to move the w/s rests on the hood. i might have a set of early ones...i know i have one complete one, but it needs the old pin out of it and a new one in (been cut in half by po). pretty sure i have at least one more down stairs. i'll check this weekend.
So my 63 was manufactured in 62. Will the 78 hinge work with it? My window wasn't ever a fold down. I need to fing the w/s rests and tie downs also.
aw
 

mike

82bj42 1st project
Joined
Mar 12, 2003
Messages
2,754
Location
Toronto,Canada
 
 
 
Sorry,
I'm not sure if the 78 hinges will work for you as I never tried to fit them to a 63.Let me know if you want them? I may also have a set of the matching hood rests if need be.
Thx
 

nuclearlemon

not an addict
Moderator
Joined
Jan 30, 2003
Messages
16,394
Location
windy wyoming
 
 
 
offrd63 said:
So my 63 was manufactured in 62. Will the 78 hinge work with it? My window wasn't ever a fold down. I need to fing the w/s rests and tie downs also.
aw
if yours was factory hardtop the hood won't have any holes drilled for the holddowns, so you can mount them where ever you want, so you don't have to worry about oem holes not being in the right place. be sure to check your wiper arm clearance though...they might contact the hood.

windshield should be hinged, just won't have the hooks/rests. they all had hinges unless someone changed it out to the plates ike specter sells. you'll also need to weld some loops on the w/s frame for the hooks since early hardtop didn't have those. (just small flat stock, with a little bend in the middle)
 

nuclearlemon

not an addict
Moderator
Joined
Jan 30, 2003
Messages
16,394
Location
windy wyoming
 
 
 
nuclearlemon said:
if you go 78, you have to move the w/s rests on the hood. i might have a set of early ones...i know i have one complete one, but it needs the old pin out of it and a new one in (been cut in half by po). pretty sure i have at least one more down stairs. i'll check this weekend.
i do have one complete, but frozen early hinge (will need to be heated, then worked back and forth until it loosens) and the one hinge that needs the pin. !$12 shipped if you want em.
 

offrd63

Ain't you done yet!
Joined
Feb 16, 2002
Messages
387
Location
Montrose CO
 
 
 
 
nuclearlemon said:
i do have one complete, but frozen early hinge (will need to be heated, then worked back and forth until it loosens) and the one hinge that needs the pin. !$12 shipped if you want em.
Mine does have the hinges put they too are frozen. I tried heating and banging years ago and never got them to brake loose.Any ideas on where to sorce the pins?
I did find the pads and tie downs at CCOT. They look like they would work.
Thanks all for the replies.
aw
 

nuclearlemon

not an addict
Moderator
Joined
Jan 30, 2003
Messages
16,394
Location
windy wyoming
 
 
 
got to get them red hot. put one end in a vice and bolt a piece of stock to the other end. once red hot, start rocking it back and forth while spraying lube on it.
 

65swb45

Elder Statesman
Supporting Vendor
Joined
Apr 14, 2004
Messages
28,634
Location
818-953-9230
 
 
 
Alec, the w/s hinge pins are the same as the door hinge pins, so you can buy new ones most places for 2.50ish per. The early w/s rubber bumpers are flat, unlike the stepped ones CCOT sells. I have the 63 vintage bumpers, NOS.

That said, if your hood really has no holes in it currently, you might as well buy the 75 and newer setup because otherwise your w/s hooks will have nowhere to rest when they're not holding your windshield down unless you go thru the trouble to get those little triangular tabs the early hoods had.
 

offrd63

Ain't you done yet!
Joined
Feb 16, 2002
Messages
387
Location
Montrose CO
 
 
 
 
65swb45 said:
Alec, the w/s hinge pins are the same as the door hinge pins, so you can buy new ones most places for 2.50ish per. The early w/s rubber bumpers are flat, unlike the stepped ones CCOT sells. I have the 63 vintage bumpers, NOS.

That said, if your hood really has no holes in it currently, you might as well buy the 75 and newer setup because otherwise your w/s hooks will have nowhere to rest when they're not holding your windshield down unless you go thru the trouble to get those little triangular tabs the early hoods had.

Mark,

I now see your point with the bumpers. Now my question is the 58-74 hinges. I appears that a solid mount plate will fit 58-84, but the hinges are early, or late models. What is the difference in the two style hinges?
aw
 

nuclearlemon

not an addict
Moderator
Joined
Jan 30, 2003
Messages
16,394
Location
windy wyoming
 
 
 
the later hinges are two "L" shaped pieces with the hinged portion sticking out. this allow the w/s to pick up in back (it also goes a bit farther forward) when you drop it to clear the wiper motor.
poser.jpg
 
Joined
Jul 9, 2004
Messages
3,997
Location
Montgomery Co. TEXAS
 
 
 
The later hinges are also a slightly different bolt pattern. A little drilling will make them work. I'd try to get some pre-12/74 hinges and '75-'84 bumpers ... you'll want them taller plus have a place to hook the latch.
 

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom