Window felt. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi
Ordered some window track felts for my 73 (sor)and they should be here on Monday. I did a search and read the tech article. I got the 3 piece ones. Has anyone got any helpful hints on the install? Are any adhesives used or are they just pushed in? I thought I would replace them after priming.
Thanks Brad

Brad, they have some metal molded in with some barbs in the metal, IIRC and I just pressed mine in the channel then used a thin strip of wood and a rubber hammer to drive them home. I did not use any sealer.
GL
It will make your cruiser a lot less rattley.:) And that is a Good Thing

Ed

Brad;

On my 75-FJ40:
Here is what I did; should work ok on the '73.

First get the right stuff for the year/production date FJ40 that u have.

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/coolfj40/winglasbelwe.html
Or see your dealer, which u already have done

Remove the two bolts [10mm socket] on the channel that hold the glass pane. Lower the pane about one inch; it should stay that way, but some rags stuffed under glass pane will hold same.

Then, using a dull knife blade (An electricians knife/screwdriver works great - the screwdriver part) carefully pry the felt away from the door frame. There are little holes for a cross-shaped prong in the door. The prongs will be rusty and stiff to remove, a little WD40 helps here. Do one at a time. You will see how once u get started. Just be sure the inside felt goes on the inside and vis-versa.

You can do this with glass installed and rolled all the way down, but I found that dropping glass an inch or so makes it really easy.

I would replace the squeege and felt if I were in ther.. On the early doors you need to pull the top half of the doors apart to get to the felt. You might be able to do it with the doors still in tact but It'll be a PITA. I'd put in new rubber squeege and glass felt while your in there and be done..

I did the rubber squeege on mine a week or so ago as the OEM was just chunks of hard rubber after 41 years. THe felt was still in good shape :)

Hi all Thanks
Just got in from removing the old felt. I only got the part out that was above the door frame. It appears that maybe my felts were replaced once already. There was weather strip cement behind the felt on the channel. After looking at it, I figured that to replace the rubber seal and the felt that is inside the door I would have to remove the upper window frame. I didn't see any metal or barbs on the old ones. I have both squeege seals already. The felts were a pita to get out. Kept breaking with little pieces being stuck in the channel. The inside bottom felt with the chrome is in good shape. To replace the rubber squeege do you have to remove the glass? It looks like it is held on by some spring clips.
Thanks again
Brad

Yeah.. I had to remove the glass and upper door frame.

THe squeege sits into place then a thin metal strip goes against the rubber with little clips that hold the metal strip against the rubber which is against the door.

SOR has those little spring clips (said knowing that you're already involved in the job) but it's not too hard to reuse old ones if they aren't broken. Mine were rusty but cleaned up nice with a wire wheel. You MIGHT be able to reinstall them without taking the top of the door out but it'll make you Krazeee trying.

dfmorse - his setup is entirely different from yours. '75+ got fat doors.

honk said:
SOR has those little spring clips (said knowing that you're already involved in the job) but it's not too hard to reuse old ones if they aren't broken. Mine were rusty but

I believe they are still available from the dealer too... :cheers:

Actually, you DON'T have to remove the glass if you don't want to...........to install the squeegee.

There are two phillips head screws placed horizontally about an inch apart about 5 inches up from the bottom of the door. This is the bottom stopper for the window. If you pull out this stopper, you can lower the glass several inches below the window sill and replace inner and outer w/s.

IMO, it is next to impossible to properly insert the new track felts with the window in the frame. I would be concerned that as many kinks as you'd put in the felt to try and force it past the glass would ultimately make the felt fatigue and fail prematurely, which negates the point of the job.

I would take the door apart.

:)

Got it torn apart and found the metal spring clips that hold the squeege on. They were in good shape. Had a time getting the window frame off. It appears I am going to need to weld the door halves together. The top pieces that hold both sides of the door together at the top have broke. The door pushed together and the window frame wouldn't come out at first. Should I use some weatherstrip adhesive on the felts?
Thanks again
Brad

Brad, your description of the door breakage is a little vague. Are you saying that the upper frame is coming apart, or that the sheetmetal of the lower door is cracked by where the upper frame attaches to it. The second scenario is much more common, and there are some fixes for it short of welding the top and bottom together.:eek:

The second scenario. Its cracked at the top of the lower door where the windshield frame sets. The 2 spots where the outside and inside door halves are joined together. The factory welds joining the inside and outside pieces is holding, its the stamped metal tab that broke loose from the larger outside door half. I thought I would weld the sheet metal joining the pieces where they broke. Is there is a better way of fixing it?
Thanks Brad

Weld another tab to the inside of the upper half where it rests on the inside of the lower. All the tab has to do is keep the upper from pushing out beyond the lower. The weatherstripping on the perimeter of the door will be sufficient to keep it from moving in.

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom