Window crank slipping (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.instagram.com
EDIT: in the end the problem is the regulator itself, not the crank, so the only solution is to replace the regulator. Admins you can delete!! 😁

HI Everyone, I recently replaced the original plastic windows cranks with some cool looking metal ones and my vanity has been punished because "metal vs metal" slowly filed the teeth of the regulator and now the crank slips and the windows can't be open. I bought new cranks but they also slip. My garage is looking for a replacement and from ebay it would take 1 month to have a new regulator mechanism. What do you suggest in the meantime as a grandma remedy to have my cranks not slipping, while waiting for a long term repair?
I was thinking of putting small pieces of wood matches inside the hole of the crank to have a tighter grip on the regulator "male" or some kind of glue that still will allow me to remove the crank if I need to open the panel.
Do you have any better DIY solutions?

Thank you!

Last edited:
What shape is the window weatherstripping in? Did everything move smooth when you first installed the window crank handles? Up 9/75 the handles were metal. The 1/75-9/75 were the only metal handles on the later one piece doors. Do you have the later one piece doors, year? Sounds like you may be wearing out your handles because the window are cranking too hard.

What shape is the window weatherstripping in? Did everything move smooth when you first installed the window crank handles? Up 9/75 the handles were metal. The 1/75-9/75 were the only metal handles on the later one piece doors. Do you have the later one piece doors, year? Sounds like you may be wearing out your handles because the window are cranking too hard.
Hi, the windows are a bit hard but nothing tragic...! Even better, one is hard, one is soft, but now they both slip in the same way!

What part is slipping, the handle that turns the window mechanism or the crank mechanism itself that lifts and lower the window that is inside the door? How are the splines on the window mechanism that the handle slips on? Have you lubed anything? The model year for 1975 was short. That is only model that had chrome handles to operate the one piece doors. Those handles would rare to slip. The spline that rolls the teeth on the mechanism would are more likely to slip. If you spline on the on the window mechanism where the handle slips on the window mechanism needs to be replace. If the window rolls easily putting some electric tape on the splines before you put the handle on might work temporarily.

What part is slipping, the handle that turns the window mechanism or the crank mechanism itself that lifts and lower the window that is inside the door? How are the splines on the window mechanism that the handle slips on? Have you lubed anything? The model year for 1975 was short. That is only model that had chrome handles to operate the one piece doors. Those handles would rare to slip. The spline that rolls the teeth on the mechanism would are more likely to slip. If you spline on the on the window mechanism where the handle slips on the window mechanism needs to be replace. If the window rolls easily putting some electric tape on the splines before you put the handle on might work temporarily.
thanks I'll try with the tape (yes, the splines are slightly filed)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom