Window Chrome removal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Back to the window chrome- Did the searches but still a little vague. I have the dark grey 88. I have pulled the roof trim and the snake blinders. Got the windows tinted and I started to pull the window trim and chickened out. I did pull the chrome inserts out of the 2 windows behind the passenger doors. Came out really easy- is this a bad thing, will my windows now fall out? It was so easy I just don’t know why no one else is recommending it. If it is ok is safe to do the rear hatch window as well? Looks good – better than the chrome with the dark tint. Is pulling the rest off the window trim as easy as the roof. I can see where the sweeps (lower part of the window) are needed but how about the chrome on the top ¾ s? Any info will help.

IMO, part of the function of the window rubber chrome is to strengthen the window rubber against leaks. Your tuck will probably be fine as the first 2 weeks of a new window rubber install are the most critical for the window rubber to vulcanizes to the window channel paint.

If you were going to replace the window rubber I'd recommend the window rubber designed for *no* chrome. It's available for the front but I'm not sure about the rear windows.

Cahil

One idea I've always wanted to explore but never followed up with was finding an alternative trim to the chrome insert. There's got to be something similar that comes in plain black, right?

I have a factory brochure that shows a stock, completely de-chromed 60 series, it's a STD trim, early model and it shows no chrome anywhere on the truck. That rubber might be available from Toyota, but you'd need to enlist someone like Cruiser Dan or have access to the microfiche, and there's a strong possibility that some of those parts are no longer available.

surffj62 said:
It is so elusive and so complex. It is only a frigg'n piece of plastic/ chrome!!! Did I screw the pooch or not ?
No, you didn't. You're fine. The discussion has turned to making it pretty, not adding any functional elements. :)

i pulled all the crome and plastic off the windows, no leaks and the window did not fall out

Man I hate chrome. If I wanted bling, I would get an Escalade. I am starting a long term project on getting rid of everything chrome. It's just me, but I'm not a fan of it.

I repainted the grill, the headlight surrounds (for a 60), the rear vents and the vents behind the front wheels all black. Looks great. I'll post pics once my wife moves out with the camera (hey she's got my son with her and I'd rather have pics of him since he's only 1 and growing).

So bring it on!

I went ahead and pulled mine. A few daysago I had started it after a few beers and then thought I really screwed it up... today I said the hell with it and pulled it.. Looks really good IMO as I have blacked out windows, black mirrors and a black grill. Truck is dark grey. Pulled the snake blinders and the roof trim not to long ago.
Pulling the plastic chrome off of the rear (behind passenger doors) was really easy. The rubber hold in the window is left with a little lip that could be trimmed with a razor no problem- still nervous and doing the hatch trim though. Got some heavy rain the other day and no leaks. The chrome around the drivers and passenger doors was a little more difficult, but by the second one it was going pretty quick. I used a tape wrapped flat head screw driver to get it started and then a pair of pliers to get a good grip on it and pulled. Left the window sweeps on as it looks like that piece is needed. Lot of crap under that trim but little to no rust.

Now for some black rims if anyone has any recommendations. 15s would be nice as my tires are fairly new. I will post pictures when I figure it out.

How bout some pics of the de-chrome. I started with the rain gutters on mine, but I havent touched the blinders or windows yet. Curious to see what it looks like..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom