Wind shield frames (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
can someone tell me if the windshield frames changed, and when the change took place, if at all. I bought a new windshield for my78 and it dosen't fit right ???

Last edited:
So, you bought a new windshield glass and it doesn't fit in the windshield frame?

subscribed, I'm curious about this one too. The the wiper motor is missing and the glass is cracked in my '79, but I can get a '65 windscreen, frame/glass/wipers for free...

I bought a replacement glass for a 1978 FJ40, to replace the damaged glass that was in the truck. The new glass dosen't fit right. And the glass that I replaced didn't fit right. So I'm assuming that the frame is from a different year, not 1978.

It changed for sure when the wipers moved from top to bottom. Pretty sure that was 74, the frame is thicker, the glass is different.

Might be other changes besides this one on the glass in 79.

A glass shop should be able to cut a new windshield out using your old one as a template.

There are at least three windshields. I believe the 78 glass ( lower motor) is still available at Toyota. If you buy it there and it doesn't fit you have the wrong windshield rubber.
I can't remember which is which but one windshield rubber sets the glass inside, parallel with the inside pinch weld and one offsets it forward or the pinch weld.

Can't seem to get the link posted in here using my phone. I googled fj40 land cruisers production changes and it was 2nd or 3rd. Link had tripod.com in it.

I believe it's an old TLCA article, describes different changes made. Pretty interesting.

According to this article the change was in 75. Now that being said I have a 78 & a 79 with windshield wipers on top? Always assumed someone changed them out with an earlier windshield.

Last edited:
There were several different windshield frames. The differences were for the following years: 58-64, 65-67, 68-74, 75-77 and 77-84. Depending on where you bought it, I'd try to get it exchanged. I had issues installing mine a while back because my rig had its frame replaced with a different year frame. Not too long ago there was a post from a mud member who's windshield glass popped out because it didn't fit properly.

Perhaps you could post up measurements of your glass. Before I installed my 76 windshield glass I traced the pattern. If I can find where the heck I put it, I can post up the measurements.

Are you using the "rope trick" and soapy water?

There were several different windshield frames. The differences were for the following years: 58-64, 65-67, 68-74, 75-77 and 77-84. Depending on where you bought it, I'd try to get it exchanged. I had issues installing mine a while back because my rig had its frame replaced with a different year frame. Not too long ago there was a post from a mud member who's windshield glass popped out because it didn't fit properly.
Thank you that was the information I was looking for

Glad you got it all figured out. I found my template and decided to measure it. Just because.

image.jpeg

Bumping up an old thread as it's fairly on topic...

EDIT - answered my own question after some additional searching; given my dash design and the windshield frame latches I have, I need a 1967 windshield frame. I don't want no stinking knobs.

I'm starting with no windshield frame, hinges, wiper motor, etc.

My truck is titled as a 1968, but SOR.com/VIN reference looks like it has a 9/1966 build date. The dash looks like it is a 1967 model based on SOR diagrams. To the extent there are differences between 1967 and 1968, I assume my rig is a 1967.

(Completely aside, the engine is from 1973)

Given that I've got nothing in the windshield department, does it matter what year stuff I buy?

If I go with a later model windshield frame, glass, gasket, etc. is there a benefit or drawback? Better wiper motor or more availability? Superior gasket set up? I realize I may need different rest blocks for the hood. Any other significant effects? Defrost stuff...?

And, random pictures of what I hope will look better in the future. If anyone can confirm my “dash is a 1967” conclusion I’d appreciate it.

139FE0CB-DE39-46D9-AE01-AA5068DAD5F3.jpeg
D73B8B4B-B30A-484B-AB1C-EBCFE48E2634.jpeg

Last edited:
After reading about the Volvo windshield wiper motor replacements on later model windshields, I am open to locating a frame that moves the wiper motor to the exterior/bottom.

Hopefully adapting some hooks to a later model frame isn't terrible to tackle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom