Wind shelter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone had any luck with a wind shelter? Just got back from a trip and the wind made the trip less enjoyable. I have figured out how to keep my tents and gear secure, I just cannot cook or prep sandwiches in the wind. I am talking about the type of wind that when you set down a piece of bread it blows away and has gusts that blows wood out of the fire. I have a Caddis shelter with the walls but I do not trust it in any wind over 25mph. I see that Kodiak makes a 10x14 screen enclosure that will buckle shut like a tent if the wind kicks up and it can be used for a screen shelter if the weather is fair. This latest trip I was at a private campground and did not get to choose any site I wanted. I was left exposed.

I use a 9’x12’ tarp...

• anchor one 9’ side tightly to the ground, using 12” stakes directly through the grommets.
  • incline the 12’ tarp at about 30*.
  • place two or three 6’ telescoping tent poles into the grommets on the uphill 9’ side
  • guy that end securely to well anchored stakes.

Doesn’t block the wind... merely diverts it over your head.

I have two walls for the Batwing 270deg awning and these walls are a lifesaver when the wind kicks up. Since the poles are used to support the awning, the walls can be rather tight in order to prevent flapping. W/o the walls, it'd be challenging to cook and exist when you're getting pelted by sand particles or sideways rain. Wind has a profound way of making people tired quickly and of course, irritable :)

1606837704734.png

Mine is certainly nothing fancy but, I use the Slumberjack Roadhouse Tarp.

It has stood up to some pretty hefty winds and it has held up admirably, it is very well made IMHO.

It certainly has saved my meals from being a total disaster more than once.

I usually attach one end to my roof rack and stake the other end out with poles. It can be set up free standing too.

I love this tarp!

IMG_0325.jpg

IMG_0349.PNG

I really think I need the walls on multiple sides. Any space underneath will result in the same issues

Mine is certainly nothing fancy but, I use the Slumberjack Roadhouse Tarp.

It has stood up to some pretty hefty winds and it has held up admirably, it is very well made IMHO.

It certainly has saved my meals from being a total disaster more than once.

I usually attach one end to my roof rack and stake the other end out with poles. It can be set up free standing too.

I love this tarp!

Have you tried out this tarp in Baja - like in January? Looks to be fairly stout if the stakes don't pull loose. I use dog tethers in the sand for my Alu Cab ShadowAwn and they hold up reliably.
IMG_0414a.JPG

We have 2 walls that we can add to our awning that provides a good wind break at camp. Wind is the worst weather, ha.

AA4E04E2-D604-4F69-989E-B1E42C394DCC.jpeg

Have you tried out this tarp in Baja - like in January? Looks to be fairly stout if the stakes don't pull loose. I use dog tethers in the sand for my Alu Cab ShadowAwn and they hold up reliably.
View attachment 2518372

Nope, haven't tried it in Baja. Just Arizona and Southern Cal (Death Valley)

I have two walls for the Batwing 270deg awning and these walls are a lifesaver when the wind kicks up. Since the poles are used to support the awning, the walls can be rather tight in order to prevent flapping. W/o the walls, it'd be challenging to cook and exist when you're getting pelted by sand particles or sideways rain. Wind has a profound way of making people tired quickly and of course, irritable :)

View attachment 2512381

I might resemble that remark LOL How do you anchor/guy the poles on rock?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom