Wind Noise: How much is normal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just got my windshield replaced. I'm wondering if I'm getting more wind noise than is normal or if I'm just over sensitive because of the new windshield. With the radio off, wind noise becomes noticeable at between 30-35 MPH. At this speed, and with the radio off, the wind noise is no more annoying than the creaks/rattles of my folded back seats, headrests shaking, stuff in cargo area, etc. At 40-45 MPH, still with radio off, the wind noise is definitely there, but still easy to talk over. Still at 40-45 MPH, but with radio on at normal volume, you have to actively listen for the wind noise. The noise doesn't increase much from 45ish to 70ish (at least not relative to road noise, etc.). It seems that, at 70-75ish you can hear the noise without trying even if the radio is on at a low volume or on talk radio (but with my preferred louder, but not blasting, volume level, you have to listen closely to hear wind noise).

Since I'm usually listening to the radio and I'm usually not thinking about/listening for wind noise, I don't know if my wind noise levels are normal or not. Thanks in advance for any thoughts on whether I'm getting too much wind noise?

There is wind noise normally at higher speeds, I dont notice much at low speed. Although I cant really comment, since my spotlight makes a little bit of noise

Kinda like when they asked A-rod if the steroids had any effect on him, he said "it was more mental than physical" Same goes for your windsheild. It's probebly fine but you turn your radio down and listen for it everytime you get in. try to forget about it... all cars have wind noise, although my 100 is quiet as a mouse fart.

That was me. I went and purchased the window molding for the sides of the front window that cover the rivets, they cost me $70! What a complete rip off. I'm honestly not sure if this is the problem. I rode in my buddy's LC that is missing the same molding and his truck had no wind noise. I think the noise may be from the sunroof molding. That's my next test.

After I had my windshield replaced the wind noise actually became less. The installer noticed that the windshield had been replaced before and they did a sloppy job - so installation skill seems to be a big factor.

One word of caution: My installer wanted to toss the two rubber strips covering the rivets on the sides of the windshield. I insisted he re-install them and I now have a quiet cabin.

More wind noise when wet...

I've noticed an oddity: I get more wind noise from the windshield area when it rains.

To be sure I'm not losing it, I've paid close attention each time it rains, and yep, noticeably more noise when wet. Not horrible, but enough to notice. A true head-scratcher.

No leaks I can find. Happy enough to live with it.

Weird, though. Probably would bother me more if I lived somewhere where it rained more than once a month.

You can check to see if the noise is from the trim strips. Just try to move them a little if they can be rocked side to side you probably are getting some noise from them. I shimmed mine out with a piece of plastic from a milk jug. The long term solution was to install Toyo Open Country MTR's, now I hardly notice the noise from the window trim. :hillbilly:

Try a roof-rack with 8 lights on it.

WHAA??? WHAA???

Wind noise after the windshield is replaced seems like a very common problem with the UZJ100. A month ago I purchased a 2000 100 Series and guess what ?? The windshield was replaced without getting new rubber strips and when I'm on the Highway I get that infamous wind noise. I ordered all the Weather Striping and moulding from my local dealer and I'm planning to have everything replaced to fix the problem. Wish Me Luck !!!:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom