Wind Noise Drip Molding Issue? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m doing some reading on the forum and it is seeming like my wind noise is coming from a replacement windshield not installed correctly.

I spoke with a shop today that said to reseal (if they could), $150. If the windshield needed to be replaced, $450. That seems reasonable, but I’m not convinced we were talking about the same thing when I was describing what I was calling the “drip molding” maybe being the incorrect size. They were just like oh yeah yeah yeah, we reseal it and put new molding.

My questions to you are, what do I refer to this piece of trim as? Any link on where to buy? Is it possible that it’s from a different year and doesn’t line up correctly because of that (this is an ‘06) or was it just installed incorrectly?

Looking at pics on the forums, no one else seems to have the gap in the molding or molding hanging over the windshield.

Any advice on how to remedy, and ideally do it right the first time- so I’m not bsing around with a glass company for multiple appointments- would be appreciated!
CD9795A1-84C7-4BBC-89CD-C277C6EC8E29.jpeg
F6841CAA-073B-438E-A630-0C0BD1D6C14C.jpeg

I need to check my LX but the alignment looks off, creating that gap on the roof. And if that is true, I would be really suspect of how they attached that particular piece of trim as the rivet holes would not line up.

he's correct, it's not installed correctly.

Sad to say, the damage is already done. Prepare for 8 holes in the side now.
Or maybe they are complete idiots and didn't screw it down at all and used glue.

new ones on part souq are great and cheaper.

DOn't even mess with saving the old ones. New side pieces are around 100usd, ten rivets from dealer and cheap harbour freight gun.

Small inside trim strips that fit the channel are needed also.

This is my PS link for my car, 2006. use this and search, you'll get the right parts.

7552 group, moundling. cheap.

probably need these to if you re use that rubber strip to on the lower plastic (under wipers). Or buy a new seal and it comes with clips.

CLIP(FOR FRONT FENDER TO COWL SIDE SEAL)

Last edited:
Thank you @Rhetoric and @jerryb. This is useful feedback and I’ll be able to gauge if the installer has any idea on how to correctly use the rivets etc.

Jerry, if they used screws will it be an issue to try to replace them with rivets? Thank you again

Depends on it any of the new screw holes are married or they made 4 entirely separate new holes.
I filled my four extra with black 3m window goop. This was 4 or 5 years ago and I just got new glass last week. Held up just fine.
The stock holes are 4mm, get a punch set. One punch can help line up the moulding when you peel off the backing of new trim.
Get extra rivets if you do it.
If you use rivets as drift pins they just fall out.

Last edited:
Depends on it any of the new screw holes are married or they made 4 entirely separate new holes.
I filled my four extra with black 3m window goop. This was 4 or 5 years ago and I just got new glass last week. Held up just fine.
The stock holes are 4mm, get a punch set. One punch can help line up the moulding when you peel off the backing of new trim.
Get extra rivets if you do it.
If you use rivets as drift pins they just fall out.
great. thank you sir!

3m black super weatherstip and gasket adhesive, No 2, 5 ounces. No idea if this is the best stuff for it but it's worked and stayed in the holes. It's almost like 1282b I think But thicker.
Do all the trim yourself, let them remove the glass and install new. Check the VIN window and measure side gaps to check them before you drive off. Insist on pictures of the windshield bed.
It's beyond me why they don't use spacers on the side.

PXL_20221210_191556363.MP.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom