Winching etiquette question. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It looks like with as many folks as were watching someone would have been bright enough to see the one coming and to have done some prevention work.

that sucks....but unfortunately, not an uncommon problem with people who lack experience in winching.

[quote author=Rice link=board=1;threadid=8217;start=msg69587#msg69587 date=1070282172]
It looks like with as many folks as were watching someone would have been bright enough to see the one coming and to have done some prevention work.
[/quote]

It's that moth to a flame thing, unfortunately I see it alot at my job. You see people spend alot of bucks on recovery equipment with absolutely no clue on how to use it correctly.

[quote author=woody link=board=1;threadid=8217;start=msg69593#msg69593 date=1070283482]
that sucks....but unfortunately, not an uncommon problem with people who lack experience in winching.
[/quote]

not many people righted them selve as many times as you :D ...j/k

that was a hard one to in the middle of the hill like that .... all it needed was two cables :-\.. i bet the hummer guy sued him for "extra damage" :mad:

So what would have been a good way to right the Hummer? - a vehicle uphill with a second winch slowing the downhill pull?

two options....first, with a single recovery vehicle, winching the hummer so it rolled uphill, then maintaining cable tension as it manuvered into a position where it wouldn't roll again. Problem there is weight, the hummer is phat and the Crusier might not have enuf mass to not slide during the process. Second, with dual recovery vehicles, you run a safety line from an upper rig and use the lower rig to flop it back downhill. Takes some radio coordination between the two winching rigs tho.

Either way, I'd like to see the upper rig either strapped to a second rig for weight or tie off to a tree or something else....would suck to be the upper rig and find yourself drug down the hill as the hummer spooled you in...

Course, being rolled onto sucks too, the lower rig in the link is lucky the hummer couldn't roll that far.

Ouch.

I've never winched anything, but 20-20 hindsight is great--looking at the first shot, the one right above "the Damage," you can see what's going to happen.

Would it have been a bad idea to attach to the front bumper and slide the thing downhill, sled style, to get to more level ground? I know you're inviting a little more cosmetic damage, but the roof's gotta be fixed anyway?

This begs the question. What if you have the winch and don't feel comfortable pulling a guy out/over whatever. I have very little experience on difficult extractions and would have no problem telling the guy, "sorry, you'll have to wait for someone else" And when he tells me that he will do it with my winch, unless I kow the guy, I am going to tell him to get stuffed. I'll go get help......

Is this bad trail/winch etiquette?

IMO, it's worse etiquette to put your own vehicle/equipment in an uncomfortable situation. I've turned down recoveries before, for a variety of reasons....my most common "excuse" is the weight difference between my rig and theirs...and this is a perfect example of that.

[quote author=woody link=board=1;threadid=8217;start=msg69663#msg69663 date=1070299417]
....my most common "excuse" is the weight difference between my rig and theirs...and this is a perfect example of that.
[/quote]

i dont get top use that one with big ass 60 and 12k warn on the frnt ... but i have told people no before also .... i wonder why they didnt use the winch on the frnt anckered off of the red one on top .... bet it was a mile marker :slap:

I am just now acquiring my first winch. Until I become familiar with winching myself out of trouble, I would have to say no as well. I can't afford messing up my rig and don't want to be responsible for anyone elses rig either. Is there some info on winching anywhere on this site? :cheers:

tech links, right column, towards the bottom....winching guide and WAY more is linked there...

Thanks Woody,

Those are good articles. After my HJ with the PTO winch gets here our club is planning on having a "winch session" so that the guys with the winches and other club members that don't have winches will know how each winch operates and get familiar with safe winching techniques.

Any suggestions for basic to moderate scenarios that we can set up safely and try?

Thanks

IMO, most of winching, like 90%, is understanding what pulls from where and how the rig reacts once cabled up. safety is everything. Teach rigging, line safety with line weights, snatch blocks, understanding what the vehicle will do while winching, what direction to steer the stuck rig, etc. Discuss WHERE to hook cable on a stuck rig, versus a rolled rig, where to have bystanders, where cables might whip/break to...discuss communcation between a stuck driver, winch operator, and any other rigs.

I tend to be the "prick" that tosses orders around when stucks occur...basically, I'm the traffic cop, with the "hook this here so it does this" and the "you stand here so when this happens you don't get shishkabobbed" :D

If you can smack enuf safety sense into people noggins, there's really nothing else to cover...lol

Sometimes I have a "bad" solenoid pack. ;)

There are times when it's not worth the exposure.

most of winching, like 90%, is understanding what pulls from where and how the rig reacts once cabled up. safety is everything. . Discuss WHERE to hook cable on a stuck rig, versus a rolled rig, where to have bystanders, where cables might whip/break to...discuss communcation between a stuck driver, winch operator, and any other rigs.

Good point, and this is when people need to step down and let someone with proven experience take over if they are not. It is impressive to watch experienced tow truck drivers yank rigs out and see how they know what to do when.

Wanna see cool, check out the guys with the Big Rig tow truck. I saw a guy extract a fully loaded (what didn't spill) rolled semi from the center divide on I-5 after a snow storm. Very impressive. Not to mention the pulling strength of those tow rigs...WOW.

[quote author=Big_Blue link=board=1;threadid=8217;start=msg69807#msg69807 date=1070314783]
Thanks Woody,

Those are good articles. After my HJ with the PTO winch gets here our club is planning on having a "winch session" so that the guys with the winches and other club members that don't have winches will know how each winch operates and get familiar with safe winching techniques.

Any suggestions for basic to moderate scenarios that we can set up safely and try?

Thanks

[/quote]

when i used to do that with 4wheel parts we would have a BIG truck at the "top" of a small hill 5-10*(to hook to) just enough to keep whgt on there trucks and walk the through winching it realy seamed to help them learn how to use it ... just and idea

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom