winch tune up? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

semlin

curmudgeon
Threads
so i did a search and couldn't find an answer. what should you do to tune up an old winch that is working but brand new to you?

I just bought a used warn m10,000. Before I mount it I would like to do any appropriate maintenance. the cable is great and was properly laid. it was mounted on a truck with no cover so the powdercoat is good but the drum has surface rust and the bottom of the power box and straps holding the motor have surface rust. otherwise it looks pretty good. I am thinking clean up the rust as best I can and paint what was rusty, put dieletric grease on all the connectors and maybe a change of the gear oil. what kind of oil do these puppies use? Is there anything else needed?

I'm not entirely sure about this but here goes. alvarorb and I yesterday had his new M8000 apart to clock the position of the clutch lever. The planetaries inside do not run in gear oil like the 8274. Instead, there was a thick coat of heavy grease on everything. I would say from the appearence that it was Moly grease. Be careful taking it apart as the intermediate gear in the planetary wants to fall out. I am assuming, of course, that the M10,000 is the same. Good luck.

contact Warn, they will send ya a owners manual , I think for free!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom