winch techniques (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Trying to get your guys opinions on the best way to respool your winch line (rope or cable) after use. When i had my caple, I would stand in front of the winch and help it spool smoothly, however the next time i used it, it would slip down the wraps and the little mounting screw that holds the cable on the drum would come off and the drum would just free spin under all the wraps. I thought that having a winch rope would make it easier to keep the spool neat, so I bought one from rockstomper. But yesterday while stuck in the mud, I used the rope for the first time and with only to wraps out, the rope pushed its way down past the remaining wraps on the drum, pulled the copper lug of the end of the rope where it mounts to the drum and the drum spun freely again under the rope. Do you guys follow what I'm saying and if so what is wrong, I try to respool the line nice and neat, but I don't know. Any hints?

If you did not put the rope on under tension or at least a small load initially, what happend to you is completly understandable. In the Warn owners manual, and hopefully in others, it explains that the new wire rope on the winch must be unwound, loaded/tensioned, and spooled back on under a load.
I usually do this by having someone hold the brakes on the truck, and guide the cable onto the drum evenly. If this is not done, the new cable will be damaged the first time that there is a real load put to it.

How long is your rope?

What type of winch are you using?

-Steve

Right now I am running a 100' 3/8" Amsteel Blue winch rope from rockstomper on a Milemarker 12k Electric winch. I understand the tensioning bit with a cable (wire rope) but it that still necessary with the synthetic rope. It can't hurt to try it now, right.

erfworm-

I too would suggest putting load on the line as you start to make sure you are getting tight rolls around the drum as you start to wind the rope in. I would think this will take care of your problem.

Drew <><

After use i always tied it off on a tree spooled it up that way.
My understanding is that the lug that holds the cable to the spool should not ever get any real tension on it. So that means that the first roll has to be really tight.
Jesse

[quote author=erfworm link=board=1;threadid=11893;start=msg108587#msg108587 date=1077473591]
Right now I am running a 100' 3/8" Amsteel Blue winch rope from rockstomper on a Milemarker 12k Electric winch. I understand the tensioning bit with a cable (wire rope) but it that still necessary with the synthetic rope. It can't hurt to try it now, right.
[/quote]

Yes you need to wind the rope with tension on it. If you dont the same thing will happen. The rope/cable (wire rope) will stretch under load thus making it thinner, the wraps that were put on loose will be will be squeezed apart making the tensioned line work its way through the layers. Also the friction of the tightly wound rope is what causes it to spool in on the drum, the little mounting screw is only there to get the cable started and is not there to support ANY of the load.

Read http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Recovery/ Good stuff

All of the information that I have read about Amsteel rope is that you do not want less than eight wraps on the drum, and that they must be snug and not loose when you start your pull, otherwise, what you described, will result.

Good luck!

-Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom