1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Winch Solenoids

Discussion in 'Camping & Outdoor Gear' started by TLCObsession, Feb 23, 2004.

1. TLCObsession

TLCObsession

Does anyone know a good place to find winch solenoids? I need a Prestolite part, but I can only find them for $25 each.... If that is the price, fine. I would like a better quality part, but it has to fit in the box.

I took on of the burnt units apart, and I think it was amazingly cheezy. The contactor was pretty wrecked, and the terminal studs were in bad shape too. The construction of the contactor left something to be desired as well.

Jim

2. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    That seems about right for a continuious duty solenoid...

What brand winch are you working on?

What size electrical cable are you using to power the winch, and how are the connections?

3. Junk

Junk

TLC, I can sympathize with you. When I took apart my rear winch (Suckerwinch X9) I was amazed at how low of quality parts where in there. There was a company, I think in Sweden (will try to find the name, but don't know if I can) that made high quality solenoids to replace it with), the ones from Sweden were like 3x the price. If you're really stuck for ideas, maybe take it to an electrical motor shop and see if they have any thoughts.

4. TOZOVR

TOZOVR

[quote author=Junk link=board=14;threadid=11965;start=msg109499#msg109499 date=1077632116]
    TLC, I can sympathize with you. When I took apart my rear winch (Suckerwinch X9) I was amazed at how low of quality parts where in there. There was a company, I think in Sweden (will try to find the name, but don't know if I can) that made high quality solenoids to replace it with), the ones from Sweden were like 3x the price. If you're really stuck for ideas, maybe take it to an electrical motor shop and see if they have any thoughts.
    [/quote]

Albright's?

5. TLCObsession

TLCObsession

They are Prestolite solenoids. They are used in Warns and in my case a Ramsey Pro Plus 9000. The winch has seen several hard pulls (65 stumps in 2 weekends once - one that almost had the tires off the ground. I am going to replace only the power 'In' set. The out has been fine.

Jim

6. TOZOVR

TOZOVR

Yeah, I was referring to the badass solenoids...completely sealed...good stuff.

7. Junk

Junk

TOZ, yeah, I think that's the name. Sounds familiar at least. Hey, I never claimed to have a good memory. :D