WINCH READY Go PTO or Electric (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
New to the cruiser seen and now have two of them in less than 2 weeks. Doing a frame off on a slick 75 that came from S Cal. - have plans on putting it back OEM with some redneck bling. The other will make a GO have fun rig for my son and myself. No paint just primer so we wont care about rock rash. Planning on winches on both and would like advise-pro's and con's on pto vs electric. I have some elect. experiences from my old J!!p days. About the time you really need it your out of battery(s). :mad:

Thanx-PICKLE:bounce:

Last edited:
Welcome!

We likes pics..both of them please.

If your going with a resto i'd put on the pto. An 8274 will look good on either though.

I'd take an electric 8274 for wheeling. It's alot easier to use. 1 or 2 gel cell batteries shouldn't let you down these days.

Cool--To dark in KS now but will post in the am

Hi All:

Which type of self-recovery winch is "better" all depends upon what terrain and conditions you 'wheel your vehicle.

The PTO-type winch will pull all day long, as long as the engine is still running. No engine power, no winching!

The electric winch, coupled with one or two batteries (deep cycle-type are best for this) can still pull the vehicle for a short time even when the engine is not running.

For pulling your rig out of mud bogs, while the engine is stil running, the PTO would be my choice. But for steep, off-camber mountain trails an electric winch (the Warn M8274 is probably the best of the electrics) would be the prefered recovery tool, IMHO.

Regards,

Alan

go with the newer style gel batteries, optima or whatever, and 8274 winches.

Your decision has to consider availability.

To go PTO involves gathering a bunch of no longer produced parts which may or may not be in usable condition and putting them all together to work.

To go electric involves opening a box.

I have ZERO experience with the PTO set-up. Is it true (I am sure it is)that if running GM saginaw power steering, or a header on an F/2F that it makes running the PTO shaft nearly impossible? If so, that may be something to concider if you plan on these mods for either rig.

Honk has a great point. I'm going through that process now. Finding parts for the PTO winch is a whole new level of difficulty when compared to the average challenges of finding Cruiser parts.
Peter

If you can find a good complete fj PTO setup--are they pretty Bullet-Proof?? :bounce: :bounce:

VT Fj-40 Owner said:
However the Warn M8274 is expensive!

The longer you are around this hobby you will realize that there are things that are worth every penny of the expense. Oh and to answer your other question....

Milemarker = garbage.

pickle said:
If you can find a good complete fj PTO setup--are they pretty Bullet-Proof??

To a point....

I have a couple cracked Toyota PTO winch housings here that did not take the abuse they were subjected to before I got them too well...

:beer:

green73 said:
I have ZERO experience with the PTO set-up. Is it true (I am sure it is)that if running GM saginaw power steering, or a header on an F/2F that it makes running the PTO shaft nearly impossible? If so, that may be something to concider if you plan on these mods for either rig.

This is true, if you have the 4 bolt saginaw steering box, the PTO will not work. The steering box is completly in the way of everything, and another thing to think about it header clearance. The PO installeda header in my Land Cruiser and they had to shave part of the header to clearance the driveshaft.

An alternative for power steering is to go scout like I did, which mounts on the outside of the frame out of the PTOs way.

The PTO winch is cool, i've done some super hard pulls on it and it worked awesome. But for practicatliy, I would go with an electric for the sake of available parts and reliability.

VT Fj-40 Owner said:
Are the mile marker winches any good?

To amplify Poser's comment about mile marker winches, I've made a close inspection of both a mile marker 9000 lb rated winch and the 9000 lb rated winch sold by Harbor Freight and believe that they are the same except for paint and decal differences. So if you get inclined toward mile marker because of money issues, and there's nothing wrong with having to keep tight reins on expenditures, do yourself a favor and watch for a HF sale on the size winch you want. The price difference can be as much as $300.00 for a 9000 lb winch, and you can remove decals and/or paint parts of the winch any color you like.

wesintl said:
Are the mile marker worm gears? ;)

Too funny there bud....

:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom