Winch Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone, my question is on the ramsey 8000lb winch. I can get one for a good price and I am curious to know if I should go with one. I feel that 8000 lbs should suffice and its far less then half the price for a warn 10,000lb winch. I am in illinois and there is no rocks or mountains or anything other then a crap load of mud. I am probably going to get about 2 or 3 times use in one year out of the thing and I am trying to justify the extra money for a warn. Anyone have any thoughts on winches?

-Bryan

Even if the Ramsuck only cost $100, it would be a wasted $100. 8k ain't gonna cut it. Suction on mud can't be underestimated and trust me, when you need that winch, you don't want it to fail. Get the 12k. If you can't do it now, wait till you can. Otherwise, it's like going to a go go bar with $5 :D - just ain't gonna work.

Remember double your weight.

Bryan,

I have an 8000 lb Warn on my 80. Many of our bretheren feel that 8000 is marginal at best. They are probably correct. You must remember that a trail ready 80 with the usual mods will push 6000 lbs. 6k stuck is more than 8k rolling. That being said, if you can buy an 8000 lb winch for a reasonable price do not pass it up. You can always use a snatch block and double-up for 16000 lbs. Just  a couple of days ago I was doing some yard work for my lovely wife. (Honey will you please pull out those 3 Russian olives that are blocking my garden?).  "Sure", I said. (get to use the winch at home)
One of them was pretty good sized. I hooked up low on it, locked all the diffs, put her in low, set the brake, and proceded to drag my 6000 lb 80 accross the yard! Obviously I was not mired in 2 feet of Caleche but an 8000 will be better than nothing............

Regards....Dan 8)

Hey Junk, What about $5 worth of quarters?

Anyone had experiences with the new Warn 9500i series winch? Just wonderin'.

Cheers,
John

Anyone had experiences with the new Warn 9500i series winch? Just wonderin'.

Cheers,
John
Still not enough for an 80.

If you need to do it on the cheap, at least get the Supersuckwinch X9. While it's only a 9k winch, the stall rating is something like 11,800 lbs. That's what I have on the rear since the 12k wouldn't mount as high inside the frame rails.

Yeah, for me money is a big issue. At this point I really can't justify a $1100 winch, for the occasional stuck I might experience. For now I just rely on the trusty hi-lift jack and towstraps. In the future I will most likely add a winch, but for now its more of a a cost/benefit calculation unfortunately.-John

You will regret not having that winch when you actually need the thing.

I have no experience in this area, it's just a hunch... :D

Haha, Rogue, I know what you mean, for now I will try to wheel with caution, a little common sense, and with a couple of buddies and their rigs.-John

Rogue, this is true. I understand what you went through and that sucks. But I also dont have mt/r's. :D. Oh well now its time to spend more money.

-Bryan

Bryan,
sounds like you're in the same budgetary boat as me. If you suspect you'll need a winch infrequently and can get a 8k for cheap, go with it. Buy a long cable and snatch block if you REALLY get stuck and 8k is too little, 16k of pull should get you out of it. If not, sell the 8k to a jeep owner and buy something bigger! :D

my .02

I've had my Ramsey Rep 8K on my last three landcruisers and haven't been let down so far. I also carry a full size shovel and am not afraid to use it, as well as try not to get into too much "Build your own African village mud". The Ramsey has been a workhorse, with no problems at all, and for general, lighter duty recovery work, you'd probably be fine. You'll need a snatch block, tree protector; shackles, etc. I think I'll probably go with a 10K or 15K Ramsey at some point in time, and move the 8K to the rear, but for now, so far so good!

:D

-H-

That's right......Remember a snatch block can turn a mouse into an elephant, with enough cable, that is......... ::)

If ya can't hang with the big dogs........... ::)

PS Them aint Wrench posts either... :D

Haha, Rogue, I know what you mean, for now I will try to wheel with caution, a little common sense, and with a couple of buddies and their rigs.-John
The problem comes when your buddies attempt to "wheel" disco's and ford pickups. :mad:

Yeah, I can relate to that, the last time I went wheeling, a buddy and I were running a powerline trail, with some fairly steep grades and loose soil. He in a '97 dodge ram, with the 4x4 package, me in my '91. We decended the trail, which took about an hour, stopped for lunch, then decided to head back up. About a quarter of the way up, we noticed something was wrong with his rig, lots of slipping and sliding, even though he was in low range, with the rear diff locked. Well no matter what he tried he just couldn't get any traction. We had to back down the trail, which was pretty narrow, with a steep drop off to our left. When we got back to town, and took the dodge into his mechanic, it turns out a servo motor was burned out, which prevented the rear diff from being locked. Mind you, this was a rig, which while used, was in pristine condition, and had never seen dirt in its life. My cruiser was just fine through the whole affair-no big suprise there :D.-John

I just put an 8K Warn on my 80. I can get out of 8000 pounds more trouble than I could with my bare cruiser and I'm in for under a grand. I will get the double-up pulley, but I'm happy as can be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom