Winch Question for the Engineers (or engineer want-to-be) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

pappy

photosynthesizing
Threads
I have two winches. The XD9000 is on the 4Runner. Last summer I bought a M8000 off Craigslist (no rope). See the table for differences.

M8​
XD-9​
9.5XP​
M12​
Motor HP​
4.8​
4.6​
6​
4.6​
Motor #​
77893​
77892​
68608​
74756​
Gear Reduction​
216:1​
156:1​
156:1​
261:1​
Line dia​
5”16”​
5/16”​
5/16”​
3/8”​
Line length​
100ft​
100ft​
100ft​
125ft​
Max line pull​
4.8 ft/min​
3.9ft/min​
6.2 ft/min​
3.86 ft/min​
Max amp draw​
435amp​
478amp​
482amp​
440amp​

I've seen posts on using the 6hp 9.5XP motor on the 8274, but not on the smaller winches. I've ordered the 9.5XP 6hp motor. The question is do I put it on the XD9000, or the M8000. I ask because the gear reductions are different between the two. It seems to me putting the 6hp motor on the M8000 with the lower gear reduction would make a great combination, assuming the extra power doesn't blow out the gears. The 6hp motor is 25% stronger than the 4.8hp. Installing the 6hp on the XD9000 will make the winch the same as the 9.5XP.

Can you post up where you ordered the new motor from pls?

Curious, is the motor frame size of the 4.8hp the same as the 6.0hp? That might dictate your answer.

Summit Racing has the best price. I think all the M-series motors are the same diameter, just different lengths, 4.5" vs 7".

Can you post up where you ordered the new motor from pls?

Curious, is the motor frame size of the 4.8hp the same as the 6.0hp? That might dictate your answer.
The Warn part number for the 6HP motor is 68608. My XD9 motor is 7" long, even though it's only 4.6HP. The motor on the M8 is 4.5".

Glad to see Summit carries the actual Warn brand and not a knock off.

So this begs the question, if Jon upgrades to a 6hp, would the solid state contactor sitting on top of his M8000 need to be upgraded as well?

1671570840826.png

I would guess he would be fine if he already has the solid state contractor. I read somewhere on the form others were using the 6hp motor with warn or Albright solid state contactors and have not posted up any issues with the combo. I have not done it my self, so accept my hearsay for what it is.

That was in the 8274.

I would guess he would be fine if he already has the solid state contractor. I read somewhere on the form others were using the 6hp motor with warn or Albright solid state contactors and have not posted up any issues with the combo. I have not done it my self, so accept my hearsay for what it is.

That was in the 8274.
I've seen lots of discussion of the 6HP motor on the 8274, especially those upgrading from the 2.5HP motors. I find it hard to believe I'm the first to consider using it on a M8. I put the solid state contactor on my XD9, and the upgrade was listed for that winch. So, not concerned with the contactor on the M8.

There is a company selling the aftermarket 6HP motors (D.B. Electrical). One person here at MUD (1911) had a bad experience with one, but that was 12 years ago. I considered the China motor, but decided to get the real-deal Warn.

This might actually be a problem. I looked through the parts diagrams for the M8, XD9, and the 9.5XP. The motor end plate for the 9.5XP is different than the other two. The gears, drum, shaft, brake, and motor coupler were the same (XD9 vs. 9.5XP). The 9.5XP motor might not bolt up to the motor end plate on the M8/XD9. Could be why I didn't find anything online.

Excellent! Ya let’s get it stuck deep in the snow far far from the road at 3pm to test it out.
I’ll stand by with my 25 year old Ramsey 9500 that likes to smoke batteries. Right, @Chompers ?
For reals I’m tuned in to see how this plays out

Excellent! Ya let’s get it stuck deep in the snow far far from the road at 3pm to test it out.
I’ll stand by with my 25 year old Ramsey 9500 that likes to smoke batteries. Right, @Chompers ?
For reals I’m tuned in to see how this plays out
Thanks for the vote of confidence, Grant. :flipoff2:

I just might go ahead and get a set of XD9/9.5XP gears to swap in, just in case. Gonna be fun cobbling this together.

This is good info, thx. Based on the paragraph below, I can see why you made that statement!!

The additional torque of the 6HP motor will will certainly increase the pulling power of your XD9000, it will also add significant pressure to the gearbox. We've seen several XD9000 winches end in a catastrophic gearbox failure with the 6HP motor fitted, hence we do not recommend this upgrade.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Grant. :flipoff2:

I just might go ahead and get a set of XD9/9.5XP gears to swap in, just in case. Gonna be fun cobbling this together.
Testing it at a daily grind meet up just wouldn’t be the same

This is good info, thx. Based on the paragraph below, I can see why you made that statement!!

The additional torque of the 6HP motor will will certainly increase the pulling power of your XD9000, it will also add significant pressure to the gearbox. We've seen several XD9000 winches end in a catastrophic gearbox failure with the 6HP motor fitted, hence we do not recommend this upgrade.

I agree, but the reduction gear set on the 9.5XP is the exact same part numbers as the XD9. I'm not sure why it would be a problem. I can certainly see why it would be an issue with the M8's 216:1 ratio, which is what prompted the original question.

I agree, but the reduction gear set on the 9.5XP is the exact same part numbers as the XD9. I'm not sure why it would be a problem. I can certainly see why it would be an issue with the M8's 216:1 ratio, which is what prompted the original question.
You'll shoot your eye out, kid.

Let's see what I can break. M8000 with 9.5xp 6hp motor. 😧

M8 with XP motor-sm.jpg

I contacted a dealer that sells Warn replacement parts. I asked him if the XD9/9.5xp gears could go into the M8000. His answer was:

As long as you are dealing with the current gear ratios, all three of those winches use the same stage 3, so yes, you can use the stage 1 & 2 out of the XD or the xp in the M8 housing.

I then asked him about the 9.5xp motor on the M8000. His answer was as expected ... :rofl:

The 6hp xp motor will fit the M8, I won't say it's approved as a replacement, but physically it would fit right on. I can't represent it as a replacement, though.

either way, for a 4runner I imagine you'd want at a minimum 9,500lb's...

either way, for a 4runner I imagine you'd want at a minimum 9,500lb's...
"Recommend winch = 1.5 x gross weight of the vehicle."

GVWR of the Gen1 4Runner is 4800#. Recommend winch would be 7200#. Who knows what the M8000xp I put on will be, but the XD9000 I had never let me down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom