WINCH ???? Need help ID-ing this thing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This winch is on a '78 FJ40 that I recently purchased. I believe that it is a PTO winch. I have pics, but need help posting them.

The winch has the following writing on it:

Ramsey Winch Co.
Model: 7-R
Capacity: 3000
Serial #: 97391

Ramsey did definitely make a PTO winch for the FJ40. I believe it has its own and not the OEM PTO drive.

capacity: 3000 would that be pounds? that would seem low

I would be whilling to sell it. I have a warn 8274 that I plan on mounting up front. If this Ramsey winch doesn't sell, I may mount it in the rear of my 40. PM me if you're interested and make me a reasonable offer...

emailed pics of the winch. hopefully they will be posted to the forum soon.

3000 is a low rating, but typically PTO winches are rated lower than what they are capable of, mainly to reduce the liability of the winch manufacturer for potential damage to the drive train.

The OEM PTO, although variously rated 1000-1500 lbs in the various owner's manuals, is really for all intents and purposes an 8000 lb+ winch, which is plenty. I would expect the Ramsey PTO to be about the same.

pics
winch1.jpg
winch2.jpg
winch3.jpg

Cool-looking. But it doesn't look like it would hold a lot of line!

So, does it work?

Is there a place for the PTO shaft to hook up in the back of it? Looks a little small and I wonder where the line feeds onto the drum at...don't look like there's any sort of fairlead. Is that a place on the front for a 1/2" drive ratchet or something to manually spool the line in?

I think that the PO had it on backwards and was trying use it like a manual crank winch because I found a handle under one of the seats when I was cleaning up the vehicle. I think that it was probably designed to be mounted reverse of the pictures so that you would tie it into a PTO shaft. The Ramsey website actually has some pictures of this type winch. They refer to them as "low mounting" industrial winches.

Thats different than the Ramsey PTO winch I saw on a 40, it had a much wider drum, without the shaft sticking out.

I don't think that is the Ramsey PTO that is commonly seen installed on 40's.

Looks like the spool may have been narrowed at some point. I have no idea what its functionality could be, seeing that you'd be lucky to get 50' of cable on there. If that is, in fact where you would mount a hand-crank, and not the free'spool switch on the front, I would think the winch's sole porpose would be to manually winch it onto a trailer in the event the PO rendered it undriveable.

A local cruiserhead has a Ramsey PTO on his, and it looks nothing like this.
Also, to note an earlier post, the drive on an OEM comes out the side of the t-case, and a Ramsey drive bolts to the back of the t-case. Not sure why, exactly, but they must have had some reason.

That's the oil drain plug sitting on top there, isn't it? Heh-heh. So, the PO was clever and set it up for use as a hand winch and never intended to have it hooked up to a PTO. Just for the odd chance he'd need to pull out of a small hole or something, I guess.

I've got one of these Ramsey PTO's to get rid of too. NO DRIVESHAFT! DON"T EVEN ASK. I don't know where it is. Got the gear box off the T-case as well.

Bought the truck from a widow, and she didn't know squat about hubby's toy. :doh:

How much for the Ramsey ... 65swb45 ? I am interested
I got a XD9000 if you are interested

wish I'd kept this one..what a real ramsey setup looks like

Bennett said:
How much for the Ramsey ... 65swb45 ? I am interested
I got a XD9000 if you are interested

wish I'd kept this one..what a real ramsey setup looks like
that's an oem drive unit. i have one of those also, but the ramsey pto was driven off the rear with the drive unit shown to the right of the oem unit on the shelf.

that first ramsey looks kind cute...like something you'd hang off a charm bracelet along with jeep leaf springs :D

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom