Winch mounting (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, trying to figure out how the winch mounts to my bumper.. Might be a dumb question but I have not installed one before. My arb bumper doesn't have a plate in the bottom and I read on here that you mount the winch feet forward?

Pics?

The 80 bumper comes in both a winch and non winch configuration. The feet forward refers to the base or bottom of the winch being mounted to the front or face of the bumper rather than being mounted horizontally to a winch plate. Clear as mud?

Last edited:
Do I have to clock it if I have easy access to the free spool knob?

No. It's just for those of us that have to mount them feet forward because the free spool knob is difficult to access. If it is accessible then you are fine. Need pictures though....:cheers:

No. It's just for those of us that have to mount them feet forward because the free spool knob is difficult to access. If it is accessible then you are fine. Need pictures though....:cheers:
Well I did have to mount it feet forward but there's so much room. I will post pics a little later, gotta wire it up now.

Pictures would help a lot. Years ago ARB meant bull bar. Today ARB makes different styles including a different style bull bar. Like mentioned they come in both winch and non winch models. They are also made for more than 80 series. I have a FJ62 with the earlier style bull bar set up for a winch. I rotated my Harbor Freight 12,000# so the feet face forward. I have clearance for the handle that is now facing the grill.

image.jpg
image.jpg
Pics!

That truck is really coming along nice, the lift, new wheels / tire and the winch

Talking about the extra storage compartment? Would love to see that in person, might motivate me to get around to do some of the updates the rigs been waiting for decent weather for.

Glenn

I need to install my tailgate lid next.

image.jpg

It's a wagon gear lid. You in tucson?

Talking about the extra storage compartment? Would love to see that in person, might motivate me to get around to do some of the updates the rigs been waiting for decent weather for.

Glenn

M, your 60 is truly evolving into one fantastic rig:cool:

With my Harbor Freight winch and old style ARB bull bar I had to drill new holes in the fairhead to center with the opening in the bumper. How does the opening match on the New style bumper and your Warn winch? I also upgraded the mounting bolts to grade 8. The one that went thru the fairhead mounting plate needed to longer. The control box clears the grill but since adding the front license plate bracket I probably rotate to the top since it would be better protected. License plate bracket was added to cover the two other fairhead openings for other mounting options, which in my opinion is fugly. Like the new look better but when you buy used you buy what ever shows up local.

I haven't researched the tailgate storage does that require cutting any tailgate? Like the idea of have better place to store things I keep in there all the rather than a milk crate in the back.

014.JPG
IMG_1240.JPG

With my Harbor Freight winch and old style ARB bull bar I had to drill new holes in the fairhead to center with the opening in the bumper. How does the opening match on the New style bumper and your Warn winch? I also upgraded the mounting bolts to grade 8. The one that went thru the fairhead mounting plate needed to longer. The control box clears the grill but since adding the front license plate bracket I probably rotate to the top since it would be better protected. License plate bracket was added to cover the two other fairhead openings for other mounting options, which in my opinion is fugly. Like the new look better but when you buy used you buy what ever shows up local.

I haven't researched the tailgate storage does that require cutting any tailgate? Like the idea of have better place to store things I keep in there all the rather than a milk crate in the back.

View attachment 958996 View attachment 958998

I believe the ARB I have is the newer one, I got it off an FJ62. I kinda fabbed it up so even though I didn't clock the winch (because there was a lot of room to get to the free spool knob) my box is on top toward the passenger side. Just tilted back slightly. Great access to everything. And it's all tucked into the bumper you can only slightly see the box on top. I really like how it turned out.

You do have to cut the tailgate for the storage. You cut a hole the size of the lid but I have to get creative with storage having 2 big dogs that like to come along.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom