Winch mount-in progress (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MaddBaggins

Remember the KnightRider!
Threads
Winch mount - done

So I have finally purchased a winch and started to build a winch mount. Some of you may remember that 3+ years ago when I built my front bumper, I planned on putting in a receiver style winch on my rig. That day has come and here's a few pics of the project in progress.

Never mind the bug spatter, I drove thru Florence on Saturday. Bugs everywhere! Check out the splat under the drivers head light.
DSC02449.jpg
DSC02450.jpg
DSC02452.jpg

Last edited:
Let me know when you plan to go out for "winching practice". I've got a new (to me) Warn that I'd like to play around with.

Rocky

Great idea!
Hopefully I'll get this done this week. I still need to fab up the brackets for the fairlead, wire it up, and spool on the synth line I got for it.

Looking good Alvin.

This way if I ever get around to buying a winch, my mount will be perfect.

:D

Cool, now I'll have someone to pull my junk out :D

Quite the bug splat, immagine catching that one in the face on a motorcycle :eek:

Alvin, would it be worthwhile bracing the bottom between the receiver tube and the mount plate? I'm thinking of a situation where the pull is mainly on one side of the drum.

Alvin, would it be worthwhile bracing the bottom between the receiver tube and the mount plate? I'm thinking of a situation where the pull is mainly on one side of the drum.

Do you mean gusset from the plate to the tube? I did add one on each side at the rear of the plate and I'm thinking of adding another more toward the front of the plate.

Do you mean gusset from the plate to the tube? I did add one on each side at the rear of the plate and I'm thinking of adding another more toward the front of the plate.

Now that you mention it, I can see it in the back. I thought about a gusset going all the way to the outside edge of the plate.

Nice work...I'd gusset front and rear on the winch platform. Brian has this setup with his 90 4 Runner and likes it. Will it fit in the rear receiver so you could pull from the rear?

I recently got a receiver winch, and Tools pointed out that some people have bent the receiver tube with side pulls. I'm gonna shim both ends of the mount so that if the tube starts to bend, it will hit the bumper right away. I'm thinking of some threaded rod at each end, so it can be adjusted for use on the rear or on someone else's truck. Clear as mud? I'm also thinking of running a piece of 1/4" plate inside the tube top and bottom to reinforce it a bit. Solid would be better, and if I ever make my own mount (this one is a Ramsey) I'll start with a solid 2"x2". Drilling that should be fun... :D

-Spike

Nice work...I'd gusset front and rear on the winch platform. Brian has this setup with his 90 4 Runner and likes it. Will it fit in the rear receiver so you could pull from the rear?

With an extension it will fit in the rear bumper. I'll worry about that later. Front end first.

I recently got a receiver winch, and Tools pointed out that some people have bent the receiver tube with side pulls. I'm gonna shim both ends of the mount so that if the tube starts to bend, it will hit the bumper right away. I'm thinking of some threaded rod at each end, so it can be adjusted for use on the rear or on someone else's truck. Clear as mud? I'm also thinking of running a piece of 1/4" plate inside the tube top and bottom to reinforce it a bit. Solid would be better, and if I ever make my own mount (this one is a Ramsey) I'll start with a solid 2"x2". Drilling that should be fun... :D

-Spike

Nice idea on the shims. My plate is within 1/4" of the bumper, I could easily add stops to it so it doesn't get side to side movement.

Glad you were able to understand that. Blame Kevin for the shim idea. :D

-Spike

Construction is finished. Now it just needs paint, wire it up and spool on the rope.

I added extra gussets underneath and some shims at the rear of the plate to limit side to side movement.
The fairlead brackets are welded at the bottom and bolt to the top of the winch at the top. They are shaped to fit the body of the winch.
The control box bracket is welded to the fairlead bracket.

I didn't mention before, but the main plate is 3/8" plate, the receiver tube is 1/4". The gussets and brackets are either 1/4" or 3/16" plate and L bracket.

Pics
DSC02459.jpg
DSC02460.jpg
DSC02461.jpg

Last edited:
some more

When the painting is done, I'll get some more pics of the finished project. Then the wiring and spooling on the rope and she's done.
DSC02462.jpg
DSC02464.jpg
DSC02465.jpg

Last edited:
Looking damn good.

-Spike

Here it is painted and mounted up. All thats left is wiring it and spooling on the rope.

Check out my reflection in the light cover. yes I washed the truck today, only the second time this year.
DSC02466.jpg
DSC02467.jpg
DSC02468.jpg

Looking damn good.

-Spike

From what I heard about one of your latest adventures, I'd say ANY winch/winchmount is going to look good to you...;p

Alvin, careful where you're getting compliments from...:grinpimp:

I washed the truck today, only the second time this year.

Dude, it's only May. How many times you gonna wash that thing this year? Careful, you'll get a reputation for primping if you keep this up. Next, you'll be posing with Shotts :D (I haven't given him any crap for awhile, so this is a 2-fer post.)

-Spike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom