Winch killed my engine (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys. Need some help. Was recently using my winch to pull down some trees. It was a big load on the winch and eventually killed the engine. I finished pulling the trees down but could not restart the engine.
I am now having a variety of electrical problems. The engine will crank but not start. The headlamps work but taillamps and brake lights do not. The blower fan works. The dash lights do not. I have checked all of the fused for continuity and all are ok.
The winch still works fine (hooked to the battery through a bus bar).
Any thoughts?
Thanks!

Well, I would get your battery checked out first. Your battery is the main thing that would likely get smoke checked with sustained winching, that is if you have your winch hooked up correctly. You may have overloaded the alternator also.

Check your terminals, grounds, alternator wiring, etc. Maybe you overloaded something, but the battery and alternator are good places to start. You may still have power in the battery, but it may be well below what is needed to run everything on the truck.

Last edited:
I don't know what kind of motor you have but if its a 22re it sounds like you blew the main fuse under the hood one of those high amp square fuses with a clear "window" that powers the inside fuse box. You can't test it without removing it. All the circuits you describe that aren't working are powered by the inside fuse box and the ones you say are working come from the under hood fuse box.

Last edited:
I don't know what kind of motor you have but if its a 22re it sounds like you blew the main fuse under the hood one of those high amp square fuses with a clear "window" that powers the inside fuse box. You can't test it without removing it. All the circuits you describe that aren't working are powered by the inside fuse box and the ones you say are working come from the under hood fuse box.

I think you are referring to a fusible link, under the hood. You can see the "fuse" from the top and see if it is blown.

That being said, I also agree that you may have overloaded your alternator/battery. The alternator feeds the battery through the 80A fusible link. This fusible link also feeds a ton of the electronics on your rig.

Yep....check that fuse first, did built a 1000 watt lightbar years ago.....when i used it at a night race my aftermarket ampmeter melted down. :)
Since there was a lot of electrical power needed your alternator produced all he could, since your batterie was empty, so there is a good possibilty that the fuse gave up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom