Winch debate (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

nakman

addict.
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.gamiviti.com
Anyone have any experience with a Mile Marker winch? How's it compare to the Warn? 4wheelparts has the new 12000 pound one for $599 with free shipping http://www.4wheelparts.com/product2.asp?imseqn=1121&occlass=MILE&cat=WIN

They also have the M8000 for $499 with free shipping, but with a big heavy 80 I want a 12000, like this one http://www.4wheelparts.com/product2.asp?imseqn=663&occlass=WARN&cat=WIN.

So is this the deal of the century, or are the Mile Markers no good? Anyone know if they'll bolt to an ARB?

What is your expectation of the winch?

Plan to use it every trip to get unstuck? Warn
Want speedy line pulls and unloaded line respooling? Warn
Expect your cheap friends to ask you to pull them free all the time? Warn
Looking for a screamin deal on a winch that will get you loose? MileMarker
Wisely keep yourself out of winch-needed situations and want this for times when you get into rare trouble? MileMarker

IMO, for the price, the MileMarker is a screamin deal...but it's SLOW, loaded or unloaded, and I given the amount I use my winch I couldn't accept the lack of line speed. I would definitely consider it tho for an occasional wheeler.

edit: from experience, when you are rolled over and want a FAST winch to right you, MileMarker and Superwinch both suck. I could have run a snatch block and righted my own rig in half time time it took these winches.

edit2: I also use my winch frequently while under power...a SLOW winch means you are driving faster than the line speed, and the cable gets bunched, loose, tangled, and downright nasty. Running a fast winch means the cable stays tight, spools well, and reduces the chances of shock loading the cable and snapping it. My ancient Bellevue Warn would outpace my truck with the stock Toyota 4-speed...the 8274-50 I run now is stupid-fast...

national tire & wheel sells the e9000 for $400 which is what im going to get but i dont have a big arse 80 so maybe you do want the 12000. everyone will probably tell you warn but really are you in that much of a rush? Its fast enough and you may as well enjoy the experience of winching.

[quote author=tclndcrz Its fast enough and you may as well enjoy the experience of winching.

::)

Nakman,
Dude, there must be a reason why everyone that wheels their 80 uses the Warn 12k right? :flipoff2: :D

Don't settle for less or you will not be able to count on it when you need it.

I'm considering a milemarker to mount on My trailer just for hauling the unwanted crap from around the shop to the salvage yard.

Personally I'd look at the Milemarker. But then again, when I'm stuck I don't care how fast my winch is, as long as it gets me out...

I agree; however, that if you're going to do a lot of winching, spend the extra dough and get a faster one.

-H-

It's not about speed unless you're in a comp.

The warn is better end of story. Nothing worse than a winch that doesn't work when you need it bad. What am I talking about? Uh, a few months ago, I had my ps rear hanging off a ledge and needed a tug real bad or it would be a very long uncontrollable and unstoppable roll. They grabbed the rear winch (Supersuckwinch X9) and ran it out. Got it connected quicly, hit the switch and nothing. :eek: The only thing that would help was something fast and in the right direction, so someone else gave me a pull of there's (no time to get my front M12 triangulated the right way).

When you NEED a winch, you want one that works, is reliable, and can run with the engine off if needed.

Do not underspend on your winch.

Although the Warn is an agricultural piece of crap in standard form, its a better piece of crap than the others available IMHO

We modify the 8000 highmount, and I would have a highmount over a low mount any day, even a 12k low mount.

Easier to use, to see, to service, faster, brake is better, better suited to plasma, and stronger.

[quote author=Junk link=board=14;threadid=7676;start=msg65660#msg65660 date=1069348732]
It's not about speed unless you're in a comp.

The warn is better end of story. Nothing worse than a winch that doesn't work when you need it bad. What am I talking about? Uh, a few months ago, I had my ps rear hanging off a ledge and needed a tug real bad or it would be a very long uncontrollable and unstoppable roll. They grabbed the rear winch (Supersuckwinch X9) and ran it out. Got it connected quicly, hit the switch and nothing. :eek: The only thing that would help was something fast and in the right direction, so someone else gave me a pull of there's (no time to get my front M12 triangulated the right way).

When you NEED a winch, you want one that works, is reliable, and can run with the engine off if needed.

Do not underspend on your winch.
[/quote]

I think that this is funny. You talk about not needing anything fast, but yet, talk about needing to be recovered quickly... :)

Does that land down under manufacture any winches?

[quote author=Poser link=board=14;threadid=7676;start=msg65862#msg65862 date=1069372935]

Does that land down under manufacture any winches?

[/quote]

Nope..... we just fix the Warn ones...... :flipoff2:

any WORKING winch is better than no winch -- unless you are going for the poser factor

i am going with a warn but my bro has the mm e8000 and it will not free spool. he has had it off the truck for about a month trying to rebuild (too much mud) i've been telling him to call mm for a diagram and/or rebuild kit -- anybody know of one

he has had the winch less then 5 months but it paid for itself the first night when he got stuck up to the windows in his 97 runner limited -- might be slow but faster than waiting on another rig or coming back the next day!!

sometimes you need to add spacers between the winch and bar to pack the winch to a true face to allow it to free spool.

If the bar is slightly twisted to the winch mount bolting the winch to it "twists" the winch, binding it enough to make it hard or impossible to free spool by hand.

[quote author=Junk link=board=14;threadid=7676;start=msg66379#msg66379 date=1069466485]

But, based on your user name, POSER, I think any winch will work for you, even a small AC model. :flipoff2:
[/quote]

My Warn winches, 8274's and 8274-50 have not let me down, and I like the line speed of these also. Makes for less time of recovery, rewinding on the spool, and battery power used. Funny that I can figure all that out being as intelectually challened as you insinuate...Hope all is well in your world.

Good luck!

-Steve

I like Warn myself, but then again I dont have a winch... lack of money

I just bought an old Warn Bellview winch. I new I wanted a warn when I was looking. Warn = Peace of Mind
:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom