Winch controller? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

timmbuck2

SILVER Star
Threads
Howdy all. My 'new' 96 LC has a nice ARB bumper with a winch. Yay for me! However, the PO left the controller under the hood while driving and it fell and got ripped off. The winch wires look ok into the "control box" under the hood, but then nothing. Since I am a complete noob about winches (but not wenches) any idea how to get it working again? It says REW8000 on it, which my research tells me is a Chicago Electric. I know, not the best by any means, but it is already there. My long term plans would be to replace it with a Warn, but for now I would just like to have it ready to use. Thanks as always....

Timm

Timm;

I would have to look at it up close to help u. Call me at 303584 9174 if u would like meet and swap lies. Let the fone ring a lot; I have a very modified phone system at my apartment.

David in Denver

Maybe the controller is what is damaged, not the winch.

How's your battery? If it's way undercharged even with the engine running it might not pull cable.

TJK

the winch (and wench) ia fine...the controller is long gone. The battery has been fine...

cool...

lowenbrau said:
A little less than a hundred for a new Warn Cntroller and socket. Just wire the new socket in and run it.
that sounds like just the ticket. any idea of an online or Denver source? also any good internet sites for winching newbies so I can at least pretend that I know what I am doing the next time I get stuck....I mean the next time I pull a Heep out of a ditch? :eek:

Friendly advice, have someone there in Denver who knows winches show you how to safely operate the winch. It's a powerful piece of equipment around which you do not want to make a mistake. Seriously.

TJK

did you try to get a Chicago Electric part?

Kaderabek said:
Friendly advice, have someone there in Denver who knows winches show you how to safely operate the winch. It's a powerful piece of equipment around which you do not want to make a mistake. Seriously.

TJK

I don't plan on touching the damn thing until someone shows me the ropes (so to speak). ;p

No, I have not tried to get a Chicago Electric part, I was still trying to figure out my options...

T

:doh: RTM noobie. Just went to harborfreight.com who sells the Chicago electric stuff. It is only an 8000 lb winch...damn, how heavy is my cruiser with a lift, ARB, bigger tires, rear tire carrier, my fat ass, etc etc? and they sell this winch for only $299. Scary....I guess if I can get the 'remote control plus 12 ft cord' for under $100 it would be worth it, even if I only use it once before it dies. In the meantime save up for a Warn....

can't be too difficult to add a few pieces of electric cable and a couple of switches..., all of $20 in parts?

well, it said 8000 on it, didn't it? Winch the heck out of it for the experimental value and let us all know how it held up...

timmbuck2 said:
:doh: RTM noobie. Just went to harborfreight.com who sells the Chicago electric stuff. It is only an 8000 lb winch...damn, how heavy is my cruiser with a lift, ARB, bigger tires, rear tire carrier, my fat ass, etc etc? and they sell this winch for only $299. Scary....I guess if I can get the 'remote control plus 12 ft cord' for under $100 it would be worth it, even if I only use it once before it dies. In the meantime save up for a Warn....

I drug my bronco which is just under the weight of my 80 in park on pavement with my warn 8000......they are more powerful than you think

Not the same thing.

skyshark186 said:
I drug my bronco which is just under the weight of my 80 in park on pavement with my warn 8000......they are more powerful than you think

Your Warn has a (4.8 hp series wound motor) vs. his (1.8 permanent magnet motor). Gear ratios are very similar: Warn 213:1 CE 210:1

Warn has an ATV winch that has a 1.5 hp motor (nearly what his winch has)!

It won't hurt for him to get it going, but like he already knows: Replace it ASAP.

I would not mess with a new controller, buy a couple of switches and some
wire and you can have in cab controls. Do a search for in cab controls or look
on Slee's site.

Just my .02 cents worth
Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom